Sponsored by:

Not nice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:53 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Not nice.

Well...It's probably not nice of me to post this here, but if the powers that be pull it, at least I will have gotten this out of my system.

A 944 that spanks 993TT's? Even if it does, I don't like reading it...I guess that's just cuz I'm shopping for my TT. I've read where the 993 can spank a 996, vice versa, and a bunch of other related items. I think if you massage a car it should be able to beat some of it's higher end stock competition, but a modified TT seams quite unstoppable to me.

In this months European Car mag....
Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

BTW, I think it's great that his car is in the magazine...Very cool. There are a few machines owned by 993TT Rennlisters that I'd love to see here as well. I'm certainly not saying it shouldn't be there...I guess I'd like to see what a spanking is? Lapped twice in a 20 lap race would work.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting. But keep in mind, there are plenty of other vehicles that would spank a 993TT for less than 25K.

And your're right, spanking needs to be defined. Ooh, that sounds naughty, doesn't it? Big track versus tight track would make a huge difference. Also, he doesn't mention long term reliability at all?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Even if pigs could fly they'd still be pigs !

I love the 951 but am looking for a 993 Turbo and couldn't resist this ole saying.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years back, wasn't there a PCA event car with a 944 motor that made like 500hp when all of the counterbalance gear was removed? Whooped everyone's butt at the PCA events... Even came with a rubber bite protector.... I'm going to do some digging in my old magazine stash...

However, this car is definately not that one. All of the windows would have long since been shaken out... hehehe...
Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Speaking from experience (see my sig), the 951, at least a modded one, is an awesome car, particularly at the top end after 4500 rpms. However, I did just about everything one can possibly do to the car, short of increasing the displacement of the engine to 2.8, 3.0 or greater liters, and the 993TT still handily beats a modded 951 off the line and in the mid-range, effortlessly in stock form. While the 951 is wonderfully balanced with near 50/50 weight distribution, the 993TT has grip, grip and more grip (to borrow the words Tiff Needle applied to a 911 he was driving), and that grip puts more power to the ground than the 951. Mod the 993TT (power or suspension, take your pick) and it gets even worse for the 951.

In addition, all of the components of highly modded 951s can't take the stresses that the over-engineered and race proven 911's can take. Several years ago a father/son team out of Virginia ran a highly modded 951 in the Daytona 24 hours for two years in a row, and though it technically crossed the finish line, it spent most of its time in the pits with all sorts of broken parts stemming from the highly stressed nature of the mods.

So, while this guy should be very proud of his car, and I absolutely love 951's, his boasts ring hollow. Also, "spanking" someone during a drivers ed counts for very little, as there are all sorts of reasons why someone may choose not to, or be unable to, wring the most out of his car in that situation.

Last edited by John H. in DC Area; 01-14-2004 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Not nice.