Sponsored by:

Boxster S ==> 993 TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:17 AM
ccassar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S ==> 993 TT

I'll be starting to look for a 993 TT in a few weeks. Currently drive a Boxster S which is a great car.

A friend of mine had a 993 (non-TT) which I really liked. Would be interested in opinions on this migration. I know the TT doesn't have quite as modern an interior but that kind of thing doesn't really bother me.

I'm prepared for more costly maintenance (correct me if I'm wrong). I drive about 3000 miles a year, mostly longer trips in continental Europe and the car is always garaged.

I plan to drive a TT in a few weeks and I expect it to be a totally different drive.

Anyone else gone from a Boxster S to a 993 TT? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't mean to put down the Boxster S which is a nice car, but they are in different universes. Mike W
Old 01-09-2004, 11:10 AM
ccassar
Track Day

That's what I'm hoping for since I'll have to come up with quite a bit of extra cash
Old 01-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe you will be disapointed. Drive one, you'll understand. Mike W
Old 01-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Boxster S ==> 993 TT

Originally posted by ccassar
I plan to drive a TT in a few weeks and I expect it to be a totally different drive.
If I may ask, what do you expect the car to do? If you like the rush of the Turbo and don't care about other aspects, then it might be the car for you. Personally, I prefer cars which are easier to drive close to or near their limits. The Boxster S is much nimbler and more fun when driven fast, especially on the track.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM
AndyGlaister
Intermediate

We had both cars - a Boxster S and a 96 993TT. I always found the Boxster exciting in the corners and nice with the roof down. It really didn't have enough power though - the engine sounded great, true, but it really didn't 'wake up' until higher in the rev range and then never really felt as if it was generating a lot of power. The 993TT feels FAST even at low revs before the turbos are really working well, redlining the TT means you are going very fast. When I autocrossed both cars I felt as if the Boxster was almost in slow motion - I could feel the grip at each wheel, I could be more accurate on my lines and improve my driving to go faster. Autocrossing the 993TT was a lot more fun (and fun to watch) as you were always on the limit of grip because of the power - hitting the limiter in 2nd constantly and trying to keep the car going where you wanted it too with only a tiny amount of remaining grip through things like slaloms. Funnily enough, the times I could get in both cars were roughly the same (and they are in the same class S3). If I wanted to turn autocrossing into a science, I would use the Boxster - if I wanted to have LOTS of fun I would pick the 993TT.

The Boxster has great brakes I trusted them and they worked well. The brakes on the 993TT are AMAZING at pulling speed off the car, esp. from high speeds. It always impresses people seeing how fast the car will get to about 120 and then seeing how quickly it can get back down to 60 - there seems no limit to the ability of the car to brake.

Negatives?

The traction control on the Boxster is great - you could race on a track with it on, it would really help out at any speed. The 993TT has good low speed traction control (less than 44 mph), so you have no traction problems pulling away - but hitting bumps half way around a high speed corner in the TT is a little more scary than the Boxster, as the car is not going to save you.

Of course the interior is more dated (I feel this is character and love it). I thought the Boxster was a little to 'honda' like.

The gearing on the 993TT just annoys me - 1,2,3 and 4 are too short for normal city/highway driving. 3rd is only good for almost 90, 4th is about 110. Because of the turbos and torque, you will shift earlier as you don't need super high revs. It does mean at about 70 forth is too high revving and 5th is not really happy. The Boxster has much better gearing for highway driving.

Costs? Well, parts, acessing the engine etc... are more expensive on the 993TT, but I have found it very reliable. Bad things on the Boxster (like the plastic rear window) just made me feel cheated. Bad things on the 993TT (like the silly CD holder your elbow always hits) I can forgive as character and I think the fit / finish and interior is 'good enough'.

The Boxtser feels as if it's bullet proof and will last forever, the engine feels very understressed, trouble is, I don't care, it's kinda dull. The 993TT feels much more alive and only slightly more fragile. The engine is very solid too, but does not sound as good when revving - after market exhausts do not fix this problem, they just give it a 'motorboat' sound - which I don't find appealing. I wish I had the Boxster intake sound just behind my ear, but with the turbos and intercooler this is never going to happen.

Having a back seat is also something I now realize if very important. On long trips the passenger cannot put their seat back and relax in the Boxster. We also have 3 people in the TT now and again and have had 4 for very short distances.

We sold the Boxster and I have not regretted it (my wife misses the car) - I know if I sell the TT I will miss it really badly - nothing will replace it - even a more modern Porsche is not worth the expense to 'upgrade' to, there is still no Porsche model that is as interesting to me as the 993TT (the GT3 looks fun - but I can't see it holding it's value once the 997 comes out).

Andy.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Opinions on cars is purely subjective- everybody has one. While I have not owned a Boxster I have driven many. I like the car, but it falls into a different catagory than a TT. It's like trying to compare a rifle and a machine gun. Each are meant to do different things. To me the Boxster is a small fun underpowered little sports car that does everything pretty well. Fun car to have around town, and nice on the track. The TT is a beast that is about power. IT goes faster, stops better than almost any car on the planet. Things like exhaust noise or lack of does little for me to take away from the car being a beast. This is a car meant to be driven hard and fast and almost always seems up to the task. I have owned 6 different Porsches (loved them all), but the 993TT will remain in my garage for as long as I am able to drive. I certainly am not a world class expert, but the 993TT is the best most fun car I have ever driven. As I said in an earlier post, drive one you will know rather quickly if you will feel the same way. Mike W
Old 01-09-2004, 04:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

viken, we are again thinking alike..... this could hurt my wallet.

sure, TT feels different than boxster S. but to say boxster S isn't as good or has not enough power isn't accurate. unless you drive on track all day long boxster S has more hp than necessary. i had one, and i love the sound when you shift at 6000 rpm. i dont' like to shift ANYCAR at less then 5500 rpm. so with my 993 996's i rarely get into 5th or 6th gear at all.

in many ways, boxster s is more fun than any of the porsche i have driven/owned. a close tie to a well set up 914-6. once i convince the wife that i need a bigger garage, i will get a box S back again.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Hi ccassar

I´m just in the same situation as you, I´ve just sold my 3.4L Boxster, and I´m looking for a 993TT. There are two members of rennlist that have a Boxster and a 993TT and I really give credit about their opinon as they own both at the same time, and still do, they are Lee R and Q.

Check out an e-mail that I receive from Lee R yesterday:
"J., the 993TT has fantastic handling. I'm a novice
driver. I have done 4 DEs at Willow Springs Raceway
and at Buttonwillow Raceway here in Southern
California, and in both the Turbo and the Boxster.
And I've driven both cars extensively and agressively
in the local Malibu Mountains where we have great
twisty roads.

The Turbo's handling is FAR SUPERIOR to the Boxster.
The Boxster has terrific handling, particulary at
lower speed and in tight situations, but it's no match
for the Turbo. One problem with the Boxster is that
although it handles great, and is easy to drive hard
by a novice driver, when it breaks adhesion, it spins
like a top. This is primarily a result of the
mid-engine. That oversteer can be helped by putting
larger (225 vrs 205) tires on the front, which I have
done.

I've experienced this myself, as I've spun the Boxster
3 times on the track (2 180s and 1 360) and had one of
the instructors spun it (a 1080 off track in the
dirt). The 1080 was at Tracquest, if you follow
any of the threads about Tracquest and Todd Serota.
Knowledgeable drivers seem to agree that the Boxster
handles great in the hands of a novice, but when you
get near the limit, it's not easy to control.

The turbo is a great car for a novice to drive
(assuming you don't go nuts with the power), as it's
forgiving, and when in trouble you can just give it
power and the front wheels will help pull you out. Of
course you can get into trouble if you go too fast,
but the car holds on tight at amazingly high speeds,
and lets you know when it starts to slide so you can
correct much easier than in the Boxster. Real pros
like the rear wheel drive better than the all wheel
drive, because they like to slide the car and that's
easier with 2 wheel drive. But for the novice who
likes to drive aggressively, the all wheel drive is
fantastic.

On both race tracks I was able to go speeds in the
Turbo around turns, with no sign of any complaints,
that I could not do in the Boxster. This was a result
of cornering power, not horsepower. The turbo has a
beefed up suspension to go with the powerful engine.
It just needs decent springs and shocks.

If you can keep your testosterone under control, and
not do foolish things, the Trubo is an incredible
drive.

Good luck looking. -Lee."

In my opinion the Boxster is very forgiving, even at the limit on high speed turns, I was able to race my Boxster several times and always felt the car to be very predicatle. Now I´m really curious to explore the limits on the 993TT, but the plain interior and the tricky driving position is big down side on the 993TT.

J.Seven
Old 01-09-2004, 04:19 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

AndyGlaister, great comparo report , thanks.

J.Seven
Old 01-09-2004, 04:31 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Originally posted by mooty
viken, we are again thinking alike..... this could hurt my wallet.

sure, TT feels different than boxster S. but to say boxster S isn't as good or has not enough power isn't accurate. unless you drive on track all day long boxster S has more hp than necessary. i had one, and i love the sound when you shift at 6000 rpm. i dont' like to shift ANYCAR at less then 5500 rpm. so with my 993 996's i rarely get into 5th or 6th gear at all.

in many ways, boxster s is more fun than any of the porsche i have driven/owned. a close tie to a well set up 914-6. once i convince the wife that i need a bigger garage, i will get a box S back again.
mooty, I´m with you, although I never drove a 993TT to it´s limit, I´ve already driven three of them at a high pace, and let me tell you that non of them made me forget my 3.4L Boxster. The low end torque on that car was amazing, together with a neutral handling and balance made it a cocktail hard to beat regard driving pleasure, and on top of that you could felt all this with the wind blowing your ears n. Although I´m looking for a 993TT, I´m already preparing my financial situation in order to buy a Boxster within 12 to 18 months from now, than I will have the right combo on my garage

J.Seven
Old 01-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to show you how choice differ, if I get a second Porsche it will be a 3.6 turbo or more lokelya 930. I've driven 914s, other 911 to me the turbo is King. I guess I am just not a Boxster guy. As a manner of fact I far prefered my 993 c2 to any Boxster. To each his own..............
Old 01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of each. I would be hard pressed to effectively verbalize a comparison of the two. The Boxster S is a jewel.

The TT has no cupholder for a reason. In fact, there should be a sign on the passenger side that says "Do not bother driver, he is busy".
Old 01-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by J.Seven

.....There are two members of rennlist that have a Boxster and a 993TT and I really give credit about their opinon as they own both at the same time, and still do, they are Lee R and Q.....
Hey, thats me !

For what it is worth, I will throw my opinion in.....

The 993 is a raw, noisy, nervious and fiesty. You must drive it.
It is very CHALLENGING to drive quickly.

The Boxster is an entire generation newer.
Smooth, crisp & comfortable. It has balance, poise and perfect handling.
It is REWARDING to drive quickly.

If pressed hard to choose between one or the other....
I think I would keep the 993TT.
I know my heart would ache every time I passed a 993 on the road - if I chose the Boxster S

The bottom line......
- The 993TT is an icon - the quintessential Porsche in both looks and feel.
- The Boxster is the future of Porsche.

ccassar,
my advice:
Spend as much time test driving a 993TT as you can.
Drive it fast, drive it slow. Find straight roads, find twisty roads.
The car that is right for you, will soon become obvious......

Did I mention I just bought a GT3 ? ...now that is an entirely different conversation again !

Cheers
Q
Old 01-15-2004, 06:37 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

A GT3, WOW congrats, it seems that most of the 993TT owners I talk to, change the 993TT for a GT3, and they are very satisfaied with their choice. The handling capacities of the GT3 compared to the 993TT are far superior, and regarding power you don´t loose so much as the numbers might show.

Great news Q, I hope we can read as soon as possible a driving report from you, and please, LOTS OF PICS, WE WANT PICS, PICS PICS of all three beasts standing together

J.Seven

Quick Reply: Boxster S ==> 993 TT