She's got everything delightful She's got everything I need

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:19 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally posted by PorschePhD
In theory that would be great if it works, and it makes sense. However when it soaks unless there is a long sustained air flow and not stop and go traffic it gets hot and stays hot. I should see if I can cut and past my data logs. The CG would not cool down at the rate the stock did. The stock the minute you pulled away from the light the intake temp would drop like a rock. The CG was a bit lazy to come down..On the flip side to that a run on the highway in 6th WOT for 2 miles or more would show a lower temp then the stock. Unit. In the long run I sold the CG and kept the stock. I actually use it in a lot of our TT conversions. It is a fine intercooler IMHO and was and still is my choice. My TT was setup making 438.7RWHP. That was a 2WD dyno.
PhD
My phrase "stop- go" was maybe not quite what I meant I didn't mean traffic but what I would class as "my" regular use which is 5+ minutes of light boost followed by big squirts of boost - in this type of driving (not certain I have described it accurately) the big I/C does cool down (I have tried touch-test and yes it is cool) so I do think the heat sink thing works for my application. Your comments about the stock I/C are spot on
Old 12-28-2003, 11:36 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen,

Does GIAC write software to work with additional fuel for this application? I thought the A/F plot looked good. The engine runs great and sounds great idle through WOT. Good point about the seal around the top of the intercooler. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:23 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TB, Ok, gottcha. Yes, that would be far better than our typical jaunt into work. That is unless I oversleep for an hour

Keith,
Your charts look great. If I recall the highest point was about a 12.4AFR. I think this is perfect and the 9s are certainly to low. Unless you are running out of fuel and need to compensate, and it doesn't look like you need to I wouldn't run it. Garrett writes most of the programs properly and therefore the need for higher rail pressure is not necessary. The higher rail pressure is actually a band-aid if you will, not the fix. I think your set up is ideal and running well.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:11 AM
msobota
Advanced

Keith - Great news - thanks for posting the data. It will be very helpful to compare my data since I am running a different chip and my turbos are a little different (sport compressor wheel and clipped exhaust wheel). I am looking forward to getting my car on the AWE dyno to figure some things out. On the Autothority dyno, my car reported 380 rwhp in stock configuration - your stock reading was 79% of that at 300hp. 79% of my 500 rwhp on the Autothority dyno is 395hp which is more in the range of what you are showing with the mods and what I expect to see on the AWE dyno. I am hoping to solve the issues with my power dropping away after 5500 rpm. Maybe it was the gasoline I was running. I have been running 50/50 93 octane and VP103 now. It seems to run better. I'll see what the dyno says. I was hugely dissapointed to miss the 12-22-03 dyno party at AWE. That would have been the best time to get some relative runs.

Mike Sobota

Originally posted by John H. in DC Area
Interesting info, Keith, thanks for sharing. A gain of 70 horsepower and 60 ft-lbs of torque must feel great, particularly since the shapes of the power/torque curves are largely the same as the stock ones. The AWE exhaust in particular looks fantastic.

Your package looks very similar to Mike Sbota's, although his dyno'd somewhere north of 500 hp (for a brief peak). The only differences I can discern are cat-less exhaust and perhaps some machining of the k-24 wheels. Any idea/discussion from AWE about what it would take to make it to 500 hp? I'm wrestling with whether to do a next stage of mods, basically between staying at a "stage 1" level where I am now, adding a Ruf Turbo R package, or adding larger turbos, software, cat bypass (for off-road use only!) from miscellaneous vendors (which would be a lot cheaper than a full Ruf conversion). I sure wish Viperbob lived on the East Coast.

Just trying to collect data.

Again, nice job!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:12 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen,

Thanks for the support it is much appreciated.

Mike,

Hope we can get together sometime. If you are heading up to AWE for a dyno run let me know.

Old 12-29-2003, 09:21 AM
msobota
Advanced

Keith - Can you tell me the make and model of your front air dam and rear spoiler. Your car looks great.

Mike
Old 12-29-2003, 10:56 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

If you are talking about my avatar that is only a dream machine. All parts are porsche 993GT2. My car looks like yours I think black 993TT. I would also like the front and rear the same as the GT2 one day.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:46 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a REAL avatar!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:53 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

My front GT2 spoiler is at the body shop getting painted, and my GT2 tail with a carbon fiber wing and a large extended wing for the track are on order......

Oh yeah,,,,,,,
Old 12-30-2003, 08:42 AM
msobota
Advanced

OK - Makes sense now - the air dam and rear wing I like costs $75k!

Mike

Originally posted by KRA993tt
Mike,

If you are talking about my avatar that is only a dream machine. All parts are porsche 993GT2. My car looks like yours I think black 993TT. I would also like the front and rear the same as the GT2 one day.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:48 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nota,

There is no way I could top the realism of your Avatar.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
maxiter
Racer

Hey, if any of you guys go back to AWE any time soon, I'd sure like to see what you've done with your cars. I might start "alterations" this coming summer, so first hand exposure is always good motivation.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:22 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maxiter,

I will be back an forth but I would think you could stop in for a visit. Call or ask for Mike.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is another picture of the exhaust system from AWE.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
alvin ulan
8th Gear

Originally posted by TB993tt
A quick % increase calc on your base line HP gives you about 470 flywheel -very nice for just a few mods and a nice "motronic controlled" boost curve. Your standard curve looks a bit dodgy, the power should not tail off like that after 5900 rpm.
One question, why does the dyno only read power to 6250rpm, is this deliberate by the operator or is the scale wrong ?
Thanks for sharing.

it is actually a little less then 500 hp at the flywheel. do not forget that power is being lost, therefor to calculate rwhp to fwhp it is 375/.75 not 375 x 1.25.

Quick Reply: She's got everything delightful She's got everything I need