OT: 2-lane driving/passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 03:46 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by B-Line C2S:
<STRONG>This is not exactly the law that I am looking for but it does have some of the info.</STRONG>
B-Line
No flame intended, but apart from great length, your list of references adds nothing here. This thread is about "[two] 2-lane driving/passing etiquette" i.e., roads with just one (1) lane in each direction.

Obviously, where there are two (2) lanes for one (1) direction, most states require "slower" traffic to move to the right lane, regardless of headlight flashing. Although, as a practical matter, I can't imagine a ticket being written for failure to yield to a speeding vehicle.

I still know of no law requiring a driver who is driving in a lawful manner on a two (2) lane road, to yield to a following non-emergency vehicle.

BTW, I don't know your reference source, but neither cited Missouri statute is on point, reminding us all that there's much misinformation on the net.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:20 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dan,

I completely agree with you, this law has nothing to do with a two lane street and this information was found on the internet and could easily be very wrong. As I stated, I am no lawyer and am not familiar with the practice of each states driving laws.

The only point I was trying to make was:
In general, if you are an overtaking car and you honk or flash lights, it becomes the responsibility of the slower moving driver to make way for you to pass.

Now even though the law does not specifically apply to two lane roads, I would assume that a slower moving driver would have to let you pass (if safe,) if the car behind were honking and flashing. And, not speed up to block the pass..

Again, I am just reposting what I have read in the past. So, no flame here. I was just understanding that a slower driver could be cited for failing to allow a faster moving vehicle to pass in a safe manner.
I would assume also that the law would apply to a two lane road. If a slow driver is trying to Block a overtaking driver after a horn has been honked or lights have been flashed, etc. etc.
But hey..you are obviously the expert and I accept without argument any info provided contrary to this info. I am no expert and don't pretend to be one.

Thanks for clarifying my mistake..
B-Line.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:25 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Oh and to clarify one more thing..
When I say yield on a street with (2) lanes, (1) going in each direction, I didn't mean pullover.
I just meant, don't block the pass by speeding up. Obviously the overtaking driver still needs to cross the stripped line and pass in the oncoming lane.
But if this is happening, I would understand why it would be illegal for the slower driver to speed up.. Therefore causing the overtaking driver to be boxed into a lane for oncoming traffic??
just my thoughts..
and even citing the driver for not allowing a pass?
but that's just my reasoning and would love some clarification..
thanks
Old 01-19-2002, 05:22 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have more than five vehicles following you in Washington state, you must pull over at turnouts provided for that purpose (note: I've only seen these signs in the mountains). I assume this means if the lead vehicle is going at the speed limit or below (not hard to do in an RV, of which there are many inching their way over the pass).

Guess how often this gets followed?
Old 01-21-2002, 12:44 AM
brandon
Instructor

Brett,
I had completely forgotten about that law. Lived on Whidbey Island for a while & got pulled over by a Trooper on Hwy 20 for..., get this, holding up 3 cars (he was the fourth) while I was driving 5 mph OVER the speed limit !! I avoided a ticket by not rolling my eyes, calling him names or questioning his lineage, pointing out that I was speeding & there was no way "lawful" traffic could be held up by me. No, I simply looked completely fascinated and wide eyed, said "Really?", and then thanked him profusely for his insight into the Washington state traffic code.

Must've been a slow day.

Quick Reply: OT: 2-lane driving/passing etiquette