Sponsored by:

Q. about oil pressure (gauge)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Barney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Q. about oil pressure (gauge)

Today I picked up my '96 993 Targa from the dealer. On the way home I noticed that the needle of the oil pressure gauge was indicating a value close to the highest on the scale (Europe: 5 bar) even at 3000rpm with oil at running temperature. During idle the pressure dropped, but when driving the needle "hugged the ceiling" so to speak. I phoned the dealer, and the mechanic there told me not to worry about these (high ?) oil pressure readings (manual states about 3.5 bar @ 5000rpm). Could anybody please enlighten me: are these values that the gauge indicates: high and detrimental/normal/OK/???? Thanks for your responses.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:53 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barney,
Welcome to the P-car world and congrats. Your oil reading is normal. Check out the archives on this board. its full of useful info and answers to Qs you will have about your new P-car. And don't hesitate to ask any Q you may have about your car either. Enjoy.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

It's normal!

i know when the car is new you're wondering about million different things but this site really is great place to look (do the search) for infor.

Don't worry about high pressure, start worrying when they are too low...

Congrats
Old 01-17-2002, 04:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
congrats on your new Pcar...
Hope to pass you soon.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<STRONG>
These cars eat oil,... </STRONG>
Mine seems to like Vipers, Corvettes,NSX's, BMW's,...it is a long list.

Greg
Old 02-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Zumbera
Advanced

Got a 1994 993 two days ago... was extremely tensed about the pressure guage being all the way to the top (except when idling). Looks like the pressure is off me now that I know it normal..
Old 02-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Hi Barney:

Congratulations on your new car.

Now is a great time to read that owner's manual. Many of the idiosyncracies of your car's operation are discussed in there...and it is really fun learning the many things that make your 993 unique.

Unlike many car manuals, it actually pays to read your P-car one throughly. Questions about your immobilizer (keep a spare battery!) and security system will be numerous, wheel and tire size, lug nut torque, shift points (don't lug that engine!), oil temps, etc etc.

Enjoy.

(No flame intended)
Old 02-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Barney
Intermediate

Funny how my post resurfaced. You're right about the manual (but as you could see I did consult the manual), but I like to mix the info from the manual with the remarks and expertise on this board. I already figured out the oil level gauge (dealer warned me about that one before delivery, as I had noticed that phenomenon during the test drive), and the coffe grinding noise of the rear spoiler (maybe I'm going to fix that, I just read that lubricant can help). Anyway, I consult the board every day, Barney

Quick Reply: Q. about oil pressure (gauge)