Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid overflow....anyone experienced this problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lastly, DONT go into shop, and tell them they're wrong, because a bunch of guys on the Internet said so! Tell them, after some research, you figured out where the problem lies. :-)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to follow up on this. First id like to thank everyone for the great input. I finally got around to taking my car back to the shop that did the brake fluid flush. To make a long story short they reviewed what they did and determined that in fact they did NOT flush the accumulator on my C4 cab. The result was as described; the brake fluid essentially overflowed the reservoir all over my frunk. A hell of a mess to clean up! The shop did the process over with the correct procedure and things are fine now.

This does not excuse the local Porsche dealer who overflowed the brake fluid twice in a row on my turbo 993 (I did ask for help at that time from fellow rennlisters ...no solution...and one had the callous response "clean it up and move on"...water over the damn). The second time with disaster out consequences (the fluid leaked down and dripped onto my car underneath the lift requiring a repaint). The local Porsche dealer looked at the turbo and came to the conclusion that I needed a $3000 brake booster. That was never fixed (it's been 2 years) but now I suspect the simply didn't flush the brake fluid correctly.

SO...I just hope no one else has to deal with this. The awd 993s have that extra step in the process that some mechanics/shops may not be aware of. You could say take it to a good shop...but in my case 2 awd 993s, 2 different shops (and one of them a Porsche dealer) with the same mistake 3 times!

Thanks again to those who responded to my post.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the cause of brake fluid build up in the front bottle of a 93tt can be due to the clutch slave cylinder starting to fail. Not sure about the c4 though as that's not got an assisted clutch as far as I recall.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to follow up on this. First id like to thank everyone for the great input. I finally got around to taking my car back to the shop that did the brake fluid flush. To make a long story short they reviewed what they did and determined that in fact they did NOT flush the accumulator on my C4 cab. The result was as described; the brake fluid essentially overflowed the reservoir all over my frunk. A hell of a mess to clean up! The shop did the process over with the correct procedure and things are fine now.

This does not excuse the local Porsche dealer who overflowed the brake fluid twice in a row on my turbo 993 (I did ask for help at that time from fellow rennlisters ...no solution...and one had the callous response "clean it up and move on"...water over the damn). The second time with disaster out consequences (the fluid leaked down and dripped onto my car underneath the lift requiring a repaint). The local Porsche dealer looked at the turbo and came to the conclusion that I needed a $3000 brake booster. That was never fixed (it's been 2 years) but now I suspect the simply didn't flush the brake fluid correctly.

SO...I just hope no one else has to deal with this. The awd 993s have that extra step in the process that some mechanics/shops may not be aware of. You could say take it to a good shop...but in my case 2 awd 993s, 2 different shops (and one of them a Porsche dealer) with the same mistake 3 times!

Thanks again to those who responded to my post.
Glad ya got er resolved. But need to realize, even the best "ASE" certified, 25 year old Porsche technician, was pooping in their pants, when our cars were built. Unless they can articulate their insight to the AC world (specifically 993s), you may wanna steer clear. Ask around for an Indy that can handle your needs. Aloha :-)

Quick Reply: Brake fluid overflow....anyone experienced this problem...