PPI results - questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PPI results - questions

Looking at 97 cab with 60k miles. PPI came back and found following issues:
-engine idles rough (says needs spark plugs)
-flywheel rattles when shutting off engine
-brake fluid 2% water contamination
-paint 6-10 mts
-belts cracking and fraying
-shift shaft seal leaking
-leak from cam chain housing
-seepage from cylinder base baskets and case shafts

Recommendation of immediate fix was plugs, belts, and shaft seal for $1,133.

Car is price around $43k. 2 owner car and every receipt done at dealer.

Questions:
1. Clutch felt fine, but are these signs of needing new clutch?
2. Is leaking from cam chain housing normal for this mileage?
3. Seepage of concern?
4. What would cause brake fluid contamination?
5. What would you pay for this car?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

All standard stuff.

Brake fluid has probably never been flushed. Waxy flakes in the fluid could mean bigger problems. Otherwise a quick flush is cheap and easy.

If that's is the original dual mass flywheel, also expected... Unfortunately it's not a cheap fix...

I'd say it's a $100k car... (Says the guy getting ready to post his for sale).
Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

There're nicer ones for sale. Based on the information given, I would pass.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Ugh! How can both of you have opposite opinions? P-Daddy what makes you pass on this? Do these infer top end on horizon?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:13 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

None of that has anything to do the top end... It's all standard fare for these cars...

As to value, im not the one to ask... but for $3-4k you pull the motor, fix the clutch, and everything else... Put it back and now you have solid piece of mind... Just about any car this age is going to need something...
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to be very normal issues. The rattle I think is not flywheel but throw out bearing. Mine was shot, but only speculation on my part. Either way, it will require transmission and or engine out

Sign for new clutch needed would be slipping clutch.

Water contamination in brake fluid is not unusual and needs a flush. 3.7 % I understand is limit.
Nice car and having been dealer service is plus for me, but will not be for others here.

I second the $100k valuation.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Needs work, but nearly every 20 year old 993 for sale will need something.

None you mentioned is a deal breaker, but expect to throw a few grand at any 993 you buy after purchase just to get it sorted.

Maybe make a deal with the seller on the price since the car needs work? Sounds like once all this is work is done you might have many trouble free miles, so I say go for it.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Needs work, but nearly every 20 year old 993 for sale will need something.

None you mentioned is a deal breaker, but expect to throw a few grand at any 993 you buy after purchase just to get it sorted.

Maybe make a deal with the seller on the price since the car needs work? Sounds like once all this is work is done you might have many trouble free miles, so I say go for it.

Good luck
Sound advice here ^, but the ppi makes no mention of suspension; so it either needs refreshing or has been refreshed. + $3.5-$4k if suspension is needed, bushings, align n corner balance. Offer 39-40?

The plugs can easily escalate to wires, distro caps n rotors. If this is the case, add $1k for parts and install labor.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 565 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Sound advice here ^, but the ppi makes no mention of suspension; so it either needs refreshing or has been refreshed. + $3.5-$4k if suspension is needed, bushings, align n corner balance. Offer 39-40?

The plugs can easily escalate to wires, distro caps n rotors. If this is the case, add $1k for parts and install labor.
Agree with others in poi findings...all usual stuff.

Pdaddy makes a good point that plug wires should be suspect and likely cause rough idle more than plugs alone.

Last edited by 95_993; 06-16-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:12 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Ugh! How can both of you have opposite opinions? P-Daddy what makes you pass on this? Do these infer top end on horizon?
Just my opinion here... What I'm saying is there are plenty more available for similar money and possibly with fewer issues. These aren't selling like they used to. Plenty o fish in the sea. True, most of the listed issues are minor and common but the rough idle, leak at base of cylinder, and rattling would concern me. I would hate to find out the real issues after purchasing. No guarantee new plugs would fix the rough idle. An engine out repair could escalate quickly! Do you diy? If not, having an indy do the work could cost $$$ to address the minor stuff. As mentioned already, you'll throw several grand at this after purchase to sort things out regardless. Why not find one with fewer issues. Happy hunting
Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Looking at 97 cab with 60k miles. PPI came back and found following issues:
-engine idles rough (says needs spark plugs) -- ok, more likely cap and rotor first see if it resolves the issue
-flywheel rattles when shutting off the engine - Mine has 100k on it seems premature to say it is the flywheel without a diagnosis
-brake fluid 2% water contamination - Refresh, no biggie
-paint 6-10 mts -- Does it look good, are you going to take it to a body shop who can really see undisclosed structural issues.
-belts cracking and fraying
-shift shaft seal leaking - is it a material leak or just a little weeping needing no action.
-leak from cam chain housing - if not dripping on the exhaust or the floor no action required
-seepage from cylinder base baskets and case shafts - is it dripping on the exhaust or the floor, if not, no action needed

Recommendation of the immediate fix was plugs, belts, and shaft seal for $1,133.- change the caps and rotor drive it a little and see if it still needs plugs. If no emission relevant misfire OBD code it may not be an immediate need.

Car is price around $43k. 2 owner car and every receipt done at the dealer.
Embarrassing receipts are missing if any, dealer serviced of no particular value.

Questions:
1. Clutch felt fine, but are these signs of needing new clutch?
Hard to depress, slipping under aggressive engagement, had to shift.
2. Is leaking from cam chain housing normal for this mileage?
Can happen at any time, not an issue always needing addressing.
3. Seepage of concern?
Only if it drips on the floor making a mess or drips on exhaust causing burning oil smell.
4. What would cause brake fluid contamination?
Normal use and time.
5. What would you pay for this car?

Last edited by pp000830; 06-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Sounds like the usual stuff. 20+ year old 993 ... doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Offer $39K. Good Luck
Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Sounds like the usual stuff. 20+ year old 993 ... doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Offer $39K. Good Luck
+1
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Rattle on shutdown is pretty common. Mine does the same and when I asked around I heard from a few (Andreas included) that their cars had made this noise for many tens of thousands of miles with no adverse effect. If you are a perfectionist (like me) you will pull it and put an RS LWF in . If you don't mind a little rattle on shutdown you can live with it until the clutch does start to slip and take care of it then.

I bet that if you push in the clutch at shutdown the rattle will disappear. So if the noise bothers you, this is a 'free' fix!

Nothing in the PPI list would scare me off if I liked the car. Negotiate down a few grand, expect you'll put some money into it in the first year of ownership and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Agree with others in poi findings...all usual stuff.

Pdaddy makes a good point that plug wires should be suspect and likely cause rough idle more than plugs alone.
Pdaddy did not make this point and in order of likelihood, I would suspect caps n rotor, plugs, wires; but all are usual related suspects.

If the rattle at shutdown was the DMF, it would manifest itself in OBD II misfire codes. As previously mentioned more likely the TOB...

Quick Reply: PPI results - questions