Sponsored by:

5 years of 993 Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 5 years of 993 Ownership

I have now owned the 993 for 5 years. It has been more special than I expected.

I never really thought I'd own a 911. I decided to sell my Subaru STi in 2012 and my two motorcycles and go for it. Off they went and off I went to Detroit to buy a black 97 C4S from a nice dude. He was the fourth owner.

From that point onward, I decided to do as much as I could in terms of upkeep and repairs myself. I bought a scissor lift and that was the beginning of many adventures in maintenance and repair. I broke lots of parts and fixed stuff using this forum, the Bentley, the workshop manual and the p-carworkshop site.

I have learned a lot about this beast. What started its life with me as a C4S is now effectively a C2S. It is so much more fun to drive now. I gutted the interior and modified it. Classic9 did my fabric work. I changed the standard springs and struts to Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. I put them on and took them off many times before I got it right. I changed bushings. I got the suspension working pretty well.

I am not a mechanic. I am learning how the car works by doing it. I have some knowledge from working on old motorcycles and scooters. I guess I have done some foolish stuff working on the car and learned the hard way. But I figured it out.

The 993 is a once in a lifetime car to me. Special because I can work on it(within my skill set) in my garage and learn on it. Modern cars are little harder to mess around with. I have tried but with the 993 I just get motivated. It feels like it was built by humans. I am not sure if that is entirely true, but it sure feels that way when I am pulling stuff apart and analyzing how it goes together.

There is a sturdiness to it that is reassuring and comforting. There is room to get at most stuff and see how it fits together. Swinging a wrench can be awkward in the engine compartment but I have given the local hardware store some good business trying to work around obstacles. Most everything I do is improved when I walk away, think and read Rennlist. MikeJs posts have been very helpful.

I haven't met many other DIYers in Chicago but I recently I did offer my garage, tools and growing knowledge to a friend who bought a beatdown 993. We are going to tear into it and get it running properly.

My goal is to some day be proficient enough to drop the engine/trans. I am in no hurry because it is a bit much for me now. The more components I take apart and put back together, the more the confidence grows. One day....

SO thanks to all the good people on the 'List who have helped me with info, parts and a good portion of entertaining threads (Quadcammer cracks me up). To all the folks running the p-carworkshop site, a big thanks. I have worked my way through almost all of the DIYs and the car is still running! Thanks to Steve Weiner who I have spoken to a couple of times on the phone. Very patient and thoughtful.

Another note. My car is getting beat up by the city life. I daily drove it 3 full years in Chicago(year round) and did probably 250 days a year the other 2 years. I have put 40K more miles on the odometer. I am at 134K right now.

It has been a blast. I just wanted to share this emo post because I love this car. I have respect for it(I have spun it a few times). You wouldn't know it sometimes by looking at it. It is scarred and a little rough looking. I have the annoying oil leaks. I don't wash it much. But the beauty is in the shape of the car, the design, the motor and suspension. That is what I value. It looks good dirty and beat up anyway.

Take care,
Michael
In the lab, yo. And the ridiculous garage soundtrack that somehow motivates me. And the dirty workshop...

Last edited by XavierLaFlamme; 05-29-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:30 PM
destence
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Michael! Well done!
Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Enjoyed your post. I bought my 96 C4S two years ago with 100k miles, and really enjoy it now that I have PSS10's installed, along with numerous other tweaks. I previously owned three 997's, and loved them as well, but this 993 relationship seems more personal for some reason. How about some photos of your car?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Right on Michael! I remember when you got it. I'm glad you're having fun with it.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:55 PM
PorscheTech993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story, Michael. It's nice to hear that people are enjoying these cars and aren't afraid to drive them/work on them. The 993 is a very solid car and extremely reliable if properly maintained.

Cheers to another 5 years
-Chad
Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember reading your road trip post a while back. Looks like the car is being used as it should.

When you finally do need to drop the engine and trans you will be astonished by how easy it is to do.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

How does it do in those Chi town winters? Nice writeup.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Very well but you can't be too low and you need a set of snow tires. The winter grit does beat the crap out of the paint though.
--Michael

Originally Posted by Paolo1
How does it do in those Chi town winters? Nice writeup.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the first 5!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:17 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post...reflects what all Porsche and all 993s should be...cars from the hand of man and for the hand of man.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Gary993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Post!

I enjoyed your post, Michael and admire your initiative to work on your 993!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:48 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Bravo Michael. I hope to one day see your car in person. Hopefully it will be dirty as hell.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
Bravo Michael. I hope to one day see your car in person. Hopefully it will be dirty as hell.
I'll make sure it is!!!!!
--Michael
Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Michael,
I really enjoyed reading your post; looking forward to the next five years!

Come this August, I too will have been in my 993 for five years...Like you, I've endured and enjoyed many, "been there done that" experiences!
What a great experience, eh? ; )
Old 05-29-2017, 05:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Great post.

Quick Reply: 5 years of 993 Ownership