993 Forum 1995-1998

Replacement starter is larger than orginal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Replacement starter is larger than orginal

I got a replacement starter (Bosch rebuild) last night, and the housing is significantly larger than the original starter. The label on the starter has the correct number SR049-X but it says that it may look different while being an approved replacement part.

I know that space is already tight and wondered if someone has installation experience with the larger unit.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Here is a comparison. The motor housing is about 2 inch longer and the diameter is 3/12 inch larger:

Old 05-27-2017, 05:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I wonder if there was a heavy duty starter option for higher compression engines as the replacement not only looks bigger but the casting looks a lot beefier.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered one from RMeuropean part #SR0429X-MFG14. I asked them if this was identical and simple bolt on and they assured me it was. I didn't get it yet its in transit. I sure hope mine is the same size as what I have in there now, because as you say there is no extra room.

I'm still trying to get the bolts on the drive flange loose. Not sure what to do as they just do not want to come out. Even tried the Snap On impact driver and no go. Really don't want to strip out the inners of those 8mm hex bolts.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:20 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBP
I ordered one from RMeuropean part #SR0429X-MFG14. I asked them if this was identical and simple bolt on and they assured me it was. I didn't get it yet its in transit. I sure hope mine is the same size as what I have in there now, because as you say there is no extra room.

I'm still trying to get the bolts on the drive flange loose. Not sure what to do as they just do not want to come out. Even tried the Snap On impact driver and no go. Really don't want to strip out the inners of those 8mm hex bolts.
The starter I received came from RM European ... I will stay tuned to your experience!
Old 05-28-2017, 05:00 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks line one is a 993 version the other is the 996 version.

Bosch 993 rebuilt 0986016250

Bosch 996 rebuilt 0986022870
Old 05-28-2017, 09:17 AM
RBP
Instructor

Will let you know what they ship me. I did specifically ask about this because this has happened to me a few times now.

911PERVY, I don't understand what you are saying. The picture above is of the original starter out of his car and the other is the one he ordered as an OEM 993 rebuilt starter part #SR0429X from the supplier. At least that's what I understand.

Are you saying the starter he received (the larger one) is for a 996? The part numbers you listed don't seem to reflect the part numbers suppliers are using.

With the limited space and access to the upper bolt the last thing anyone needs is a larger starter!

e9stibi, did you try getting it in there?

Also, when I look carefully at the picture on their web site they show the correct 993 starter, the solenoid is silver not black, the contour is a little different and there is a hole on front of the solenoid. The starter they shipped you doesn't look the starter on their site.

Last edited by RBP; 05-28-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:55 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBP
Will let you know what they ship me. I did specifically ask about this because this has happened to me a few times now.

911PERVY, I don't understand what you are saying. The picture above is of the original starter out of his car and the other is the one he ordered as an OEM 993 rebuilt starter part #SR0429X from the supplier. At least that's what I understand.

Are you saying the starter he received (the larger one) is for a 996? The part numbers you listed don't seem to reflect the part numbers suppliers are using.

With the limited space and access to the upper bolt the last thing anyone needs is a larger starter!

e9stibi, did you try getting it in there?

Also, when I look carefully at the picture on their web site they show the correct 993 starter, the solenoid is silver not black, the contour is a little different and there is a hole on front of the solenoid. The starter they shipped you doesn't look the starter on their site.
This old starter is from my last replacement on my 993 4S. There was an eBay seller that dried out that sold them for 110 shipped without core exchange. I should have stocked up because they sold the proper size.

The new starter from RM Europe looks different than pictured on their site. I will wait for your "experience" but may consider shipping the large one back and have my defective correct size starter overhauled locally.

I did not try to get it in there. Just too hot in my garage in Texas and i am not fully confident that I get this sucker in. I was confident with the smaller size on my non AWD cab but the extra 2 inch make me wait and asking for any experience before I take it apart.

Please keep us updated.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:36 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I should have stocked up because they sold the proper size.
An original 993 starter with the 964 part number has the long body.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 PM
RBP
Instructor

I have my car apart waiting for my new starter. I haven't pulled the original one yet but all that's left t o do is disconnect the wires and unbolt it. I can say that the starter in there looks exactly like the smaller one in the above photo and the one on the suppliers web site under that part number.

Will likely get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

If it is the larger unit I will likely do the same here, return it and have the original one rebuilt locally.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:51 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

I tested the defective starter that I pulled last time (smaller size) and could tie the problem back to the solenoid. The Motor always spins when I apply 12 V directly to the starter motor. When I connect power to the starter solenoid, the starter solenoid always moves the pinion but does only sporadically run the motor. This means that the 12 V supply at the relay is not always directed to the motor. A new solenoid that I just ordered from the bay for 29 Bucks should hopefully cure this and if not, it was worth trying.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBP
I have my car apart waiting for my new starter. I haven't pulled the original one yet but all that's left t o do is disconnect the wires and unbolt it. I can say that the starter in there looks exactly like the smaller one in the above photo and the one on the suppliers web site under that part number.

Will likely get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

If it is the larger unit I will likely do the same here, return it and have the original one rebuilt locally.
You would not even try fitting the larger unit? You would give me and others confidence to tackle it!
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM
RBP
Instructor

I just finished pulling the starter. A real PITA getting the top 10mm hex nut out, even worse trying to get connected to it. Not sure but I'm thinkin trying to get that top hex nut back in will be worse. We shall see.

As far as trying to install a larger starter. If the engine was out, maybe, but good luck to anyone trying to remove it without pulling the engine. The smaller starter as in my pic is just log enough so that the 10mm hex with a standard extension provides just enough clearance at the and to get a ratchet on. If as you say the replacement starter is 2" longer it won't work. For one you would have to obtain or make a non standard extension so you can get past the end of the starter, once you did that there would be no clearance to get the ratchet on!
Attached Images  

Last edited by RBP; 05-28-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

This thread has caused me to go check the spare I purchased off eBay last year thanks to a great price some kind soul on the Forum posted. It's a Bosch SR-0429X, brand-spanking new in the box and is the short (thank God!) version.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
This thread has caused me to go check the spare I purchased off eBay last year thanks to a great price some kind soul on the Forum posted. It's a Bosch SR-0429X, brand-spanking new in the box and is the short (thank God!) version.
I posted it and it should be the correct one. I made the mistake to not put one "in stock" for my second 993. Yuo will be fine.

Quick Reply: Replacement starter is larger than orginal