Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires or All seasons

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003 | 06:21 PM
kadeer
Instructor

Default Winter Tires or All seasons

I drove my 993 C2 last winter in NY with S03s. That was a big mistake!
This winter I can not decide if I should get the Continental ExtremeContact all season tire so I could use them in the summer too or get winter tires.
Few questions.
(1) Can I mix and match (Just winter tires on rear)
(2) What is the recommended winter tire and size for stock 17" rims.
Can I put 245/45/17 or 225/45/17 or this only works for 16".
(3) Can the all seasons do the job so its not scary to drive in winter.

Early thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-17-2003 | 07:22 PM
bet
Drifting

Do not mix and match types of tires, the handling characteristics of summer vs. winter tires in adverse conditions could be extremely dangerous. As you found out last winter, summer performance tires basically turn into big solid hockey pucks below a certain temperature. The compounds used to make these tires are designed to work under hot conditions, whereas, they turn very hard and basically provide no grip (even on dry payment) below certain temperatures. Tire Rack has a couple of great articles about the science and technology behind winter tires and how different compounds and tread designs make all the difference.

All season tires are a compromise of the compounds and tread design differences between summer performance and winter bite. Most US drivers except this compromise based on $$ and ignorance of how much a compromise there really is. You would never consider putting all seasons on your C4 during the summer, don’t consider it for the winter, because they are a compromise on any type of car, all wheel drive or not. Winter tires make a huge difference in traction and handling in the conditions they are designed for. There was a great article in one of the car magazines a couple of years ago (there may be something similar on the Tire Rack web site now) that involved a tire test with combos of front wheel driver vs. all wheel drive vs. all season vs. winter tires. The front wheel drive car was basically equal to the all wheel drive car when the front had winter tires and the all wheel drive had all season. No contest when both were shod with winter. If you are going to drive in the winter then there is really no choice. Get the winter specific tires, otherwise you have marginal winter and marginal summer performance with the all season’s. Keep the S0-3 for next summer. The cost factor should even out over time because you will not go through the summer tires as quickly.

Do a search on Tire Racks web site on winter tires. Bridgestone Blizzacks, Michelin Artic Alpines and Dunlop's M2 and M3 are all well regarded winter tires. The availability of size may be your limiting factor.

As for size I can’t help you there.
Old 11-17-2003 | 07:28 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I agree completely with Brian
Old 11-17-2003 | 07:45 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Summary: All season tires suck for all seasons. Proper snow tires for winter, and performance tires when snow is no longer a threat.

This is a Porsche 993, one of the best cars ever made, not a Ford Taurus, equip it properly.
Old 11-18-2003 | 06:20 PM
kadeer
Instructor

Thanks Guys. Brian you convinced me to get winter tires all arround.

Greg, great summuraization. "All season tires suck for all seasons."

What about the winter tires sizes for the 7 and 9 x 17 rims.
Can I put 225/45/17 or 235/45/17 or 245/45/17 for rears.
Old 11-18-2003 | 06:36 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kadeer,

I would probably do 205's front and 245 or 255's for the rear.

I run 225's and 265's Pirelli P210's on my Carrera S but on 17x8 and 17x10 rims. For me they can make the difference between getting home at all or being stranded somewhere. And even if I did make it home most likely I wouldn't get up the driveway without them.

Snow tires on a AWD Porsche will be unstoppable as long as it doesn't get too deep.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires or All seasons