Sponsored by:

Police scanner

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:25 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Police scanner

I'm looking to hardwire a Uniden police scanner but am having a hard time finding a suitable place to mount it (don't want it on the dash/windshield). Anyone here have one installed in their 993?

TIA
Old 11-17-2003, 03:35 PM
blackcat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC I've seen some folks remove the center vents and mount DVD screens in there - that might be an option.

Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

hmmmm...might have to give that some thought...Thanks Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you define "police scanner"? is that a radio for listening to police chatter or is that another word for radar detector?

(yes, i am ignorant)
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

JPL - Search on Rennlist and Google for Uniden Bearcat BCT-7 and BCT-12. Yes, they let you listen in on police channel, emergency channels, weather, CHP and private CB transmissions (basically a CB radio except cannot broadcast). Best yet some (like the Bearcats) detect any radio repeaters that are within 3 miles of you (fyi - California Highway Patrol have repeaters...so even if they don't have their radar on you can detect if one is around your area). Combined with a V1 this give you a greater level of peace of mind.

So does anyone have any other ideas for a good mounting location?!?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a ham radio operator and have 2 way radios on both my daily drives but not the P car. My suggestions though are: 1(which is the set up I have in my 4rnr) is if you have a remote unit with the scanner is mount the main unit in the trunk, have the remote controler within your reach and velcro/mount a small speaker under the dash. You can get a small flat, encased speaker already wired with 1/4 jack from radio shack or from any ham radio supplier. My 2nd suggestion is, if you don't have the remote unit, install the main unit in the driver's door compartment, so you can reach the controls and mount small, encased speaker under the dash or velcro by the center console. I'll post a pix of my set up when I get home.

Of course make sure that either the antenna is in vertical position, If you mount the main unit in an hidden area, I would definitely get a coaxial extaention to mount the antenna either externally or in the middle of the 2 rear speakers.

have fun
Old 11-20-2003, 02:37 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey David-

I've been looking at scanners for awhile myself, I've got a V1 hardwired above my rear view mirror, I like the BCT 7 and like you, I can't figure out a non-obtrusive location. Although the BCT 12 has been discontinued I'm curious if anyone has an experience with them, I see a few refurbished one's still available. Because of the size I'm thinking the BCT 12 might work. I also wonder if you must mount the BCT 12 in a "line of sight" location, if not it could be located on top of the console above the switch array just below the ashtray .

Last edited by p_carfan; 11-20-2003 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Police scanner