993 Forum 1995-1998

Wind Noise from Behind Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise from Behind Dash

Yesterday I took my car out on the highway with all the windows closed and I heard a wind noise coming from behind the dash.

I have not heard this noise before when driving on local roads.

Does anyone know of some common things to look for? It is difficult to diagnose where exactly the noise is coming from because it only happens at highway speeds and I can't get my head under the dash when driving!

TIA
Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Chuck,

I'd check a couple of things. Since the wind noise is at highway speeds, it has to be related to the fresh air grill at the rear of the front hood, at the base of the windshield.

I assume you have the fan speed setting at '0'? I also know that if the dash face vent thumbwheels are closed and both foot and windshield slide controls are closed and the fan is turned on, the noise behind the dash will sound like a wind turbine. But this noise shouldn't show up with the fan at '0' speed.

- Get a flashlight and look inside the face vents (four) on the dash. Make sure you can see that the corrugated cardboard tubes are connected properly to the plastic vents. Maybe a connection has come loose.

- Take a look at the rear of the trunk to see if the plastic cover that goes over the HVAC servo's, pollen filters, etc. is in place. If that was left off after maintenance it might cause some wind noise.

- You can check inside the pollen filter housings to see if they are in place. It may be that if one or both were not installed you could get some wind noise.

- If the noise persists, see if you can get it to go away by putting the windshield defrost and foot slide controls to various positions.

That's all that comes to mind. Let me know if any of the above helps.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from Behind Dash