Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on transmission-only removal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys. I am fairly mechanical. Built several racecars etc. I would be doing it on the floor on jackstands. The only thing that worries me is the clutch fork and bearings etc since I have never done this before....on a 993. If I can drop the motor in 3-4 hours I may just go that route. Hell, I can drop the engine in my 70 in about an hour so the 993 cant be that much worse.......famous last words
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I did my engine drop in 2 hours. It was my first time. My helper was an experiened mechanic, but had never done a 993 before. The key is getting the car high enough off the ground, and a good way to get the engine down. The rest is just nuts, bolts, and connectors.
We used a hydraulic lift table from harbor freight to lower it down, and then used it for a work table while it was out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-93116.html
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Did you take the rear bumper cover off?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, If your on jack stands use ramps on the front wheels for good stability. You can take the Varioram off the top and gain a ton of room. That will allow you to avoid the bumper cover removal. The V-ram unit is quite easy to remove: unclip the the throttle position sensor, mass airflow, ICV wire, knock sensors, engine temp sensor, varioram wires, a couple hoses to the oil tank, vacuum lines on the left side tree, and throttle cable. You can unclip the throttle cable, slide it lower on the retainer and then pop it out of the grommet. It is a little easier to do this after you drop the engine a couple of inches, but it will come out either way. I actually had to do this today while prepping for my 3.8 RSR setup and getting the stock motor out. It was 20mins start to finish. BTW the intake runners will be stubborn on the rubber sleeves if you have never had them apart before. A bit of care should taken while "wiggling" the unit loose from the intake runners. That is also a good opportunity to inspect for leaks and check the varioram vacuum lines for kinks. The resonance flap often needs to be cleaned up and resealed as it almost always starts to leak where it enters the varioram. Also, tape over the runners and make sure you don't material in them during re-assembly. ( another Rennlister did this recently)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob, Thanks for the tips. I think I will just go that route. Plus I can do the PS belt, VC gaskets etc. Will probably do it either next weekend or teh following one. This place is great! Clic on the link in my sig to see the other project I just completed.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you'll have any trouble Mark!

and really nice 911T
I had followed that thread late last year... good work
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Mark! It was a fun build. Problem is it makes the 993 feel SLOW...... Hopefully the LWF will wake it up a bit. Im actually looking forward to the engine drop....thats how demented I am
Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I did not remove the bumper cover.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Update, I removed the engine and trans solo this weekend. Much easier that I was expecting. I did take off the rear bumpercover. About 3 hours to get it out and 5 to get the new LWF on and car back together. Now that I know how the pivot shaft assy goes, I may just remove the trans only the next time. Probably wont save a ton of time though. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Question on transmission-only removal...