Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you like your gray interior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003 | 08:40 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

My advise is don't listen to anyone - it's all a matter of personal taste. Decide the exact config *you* want and don't settle for anything less. Maybe it'll take a bit longer to find "the" 993 but it'll be worth it.

Me? Gray interior? No way.

Remember, it's a you-thing...
Old 11-16-2003 | 08:56 PM
frisbee54
Racer

I had black int. in my speed yellow C4S and I liked it just fine but the cashmier int. in my white TT is awesome I like the almost 2 tone affect with the black dash and center console black pieces I put in a burl wood shifter with a black boot and to me it looks alot nicer than the all tan boot & ****, the black boot matches the tray under e-brake
Old 11-16-2003 | 09:45 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by chris walrod
Iris blue and a blue/gray interior is my favorite combo!
If I ever decide to sell my car, I'll have to remember to call you! I'd always wanted a tan (cashmere?) interior, but a '96 Iris Blue/grey car came along that was just right, my wife fell in love with it, and vigorously campaigned for it (grey interior) over cashmere. That made it easy, and I've never slid into the car & felt like the grey was a downer for me.

She wound up in a dark blue 330i w. grey interior a few years later, which I thought was pretty funny.
Old 11-16-2003 | 09:54 PM
LeeR
Racer

Like others that have it, I like my midnight blue/marble gray combo. Flash photo makes the colors look a little lighter than they actually are in daylight.
Old 11-17-2003 | 01:28 AM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

I have Slate Gray exterior and Marble Gray interior. I am biased but I really like this combo. Although it is light, it will not show fading like black or other colors. Always looks clean. My car is a 4/94 build date and looks like new yet!
Old 11-17-2003 | 02:25 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

I initially wanted black on cashmere, but when i spotted my polar silver on gray, the condition won me over.

I now have absolutely no problem with the gray interior (or the polar silver exterior). At the end of the day you just have to prioritise what will make you most happy.... dont forget its you paying over hard earned cash for the car you will drive....
Old 11-17-2003 | 02:57 AM
DrZ
Racer

Not all grays are alike. The classic gray has a very distinctive purple undertone. Really noticed it today on a late afternoon Cali drive in my cab. The light caught the dash in such a way that really made the lavender color stand out. As mentioned by others, advantages of gray assuming it is complementary to the exterior are: illusion of spaciousness, stays clean and new looking better than the light interiors(almost as good as black), doesn't get as hot as black in the summer, somewhat less common based on what Todd at LA Distmantlers tells me(good for uniqueness/bad if you are looking for parts. It's best quality to me however is the way it goes with either CF or aluminum accents. Best combinations for a fresher updated hi-tech look IMO, I don't think either looks good with cashmere, and black is good but not quite as nice. Then again if you like wood cashmere works far better than gray. Someone in a previous post was going to put a 996 marble gray SW against his classic gray interior. Gert alerted me to the difference in hues and and I decided to get a Techart 4spoke SW in CG instead. Some here have suggested a black SW in this situation which may indeed work aesthetically, but for me deviates too much from stock. Agree that only your opinion counts, but FWIW some things to consider.
Old 11-17-2003 | 12:43 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've got the same grey interior that LeeR has and am very happy with the contrast it makes with the midnight blue exterior. I might add that it appears that in the past 5 to 7 years, red is no longer the only color to buy a Porsche in -- in the gogo eighties, it was. Now that less showy colors are more popular, grey has become a common interior. I personally think it is "classier" and less showy -- suits my needs better!
Old 11-17-2003 | 01:20 PM
PSU-993
Advanced

I love the grey in my car. My dash and SW are black and I have the black and silver RS shifter. I think the contrast is great and gives the car a clean feeling -- stays cooler too which I like here in Houston.
Old 11-17-2003 | 03:04 PM
ronnie930
Intermediate

Don

As most people have said, agree on a colour that you like!

I have a grey/blue interior on my blue TT and I love it.

ronnie

Iris blue 993TT
H&R coilovers
Fabspeed mufflers
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2003 | 03:20 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love my gray interior. It does not show lint, dirt, etc. like black. I have had blue, black, and tan but like the gray best. I think the interior stays cooler with a lighter color.
Old 11-17-2003 | 03:38 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the beige interior and I $%#$# hate it ! ;-)

Why I did this to myself, I don't know. I did it before too, on my 83 SC, also beige interior, which I redid to black over the years. Right now I am debating doing that to the 993 as well. I don't know what it is, initially the beige interior (blue ext) looks classy to me, then after 6 months it just looks OLD ! about now it's become unbearable ;-) Can't believe i made that mistake twice now, they don't call me Bozo for nothing !

If anyone out there wants beige bits in trade for black bits, great. If not, my plan if to find RS doors panels, dye the rear 1/4 panels with surflex (great stuff), find a black shifter console and handbrake with aluminum accents, swap the seats for Milanos (also with aluminum accents)and be happy again with mroe modern look inside ! Bottom line: get the color you like initially, it's cheaper that way !
Old 11-17-2003 | 05:06 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an ocean blue car with a gray/blue interior. I think it's awesome.
Old 11-17-2003 | 05:32 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

My Iris Blue with classic grey interior was an excellent choice and I do not regret it at all....
Old 11-17-2003 | 05:35 PM
phatbut
Racer

I surely do like my Classic Grey Interior. But I would mind a black/grey two tone.

Quick Reply: do you like your gray interior?