Sponsored by:

Glove box retainer clip replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Glove box retainer clip replacement

My glove box keeps opening even if I tight the screw.

The fix seems to replace part # 39-40. I know there are many thread about this topic but can't find how to do it. Do I need to remove the glove box, or only it's door, or the lower dash?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was having the same problem, I replaced #38,39,and 40. The problem persisted. What finally fixed it was to apply some solder to the posts of part 38. Of course the diameter of the posts were increased which made inserting them harder but it seems the clamping was improved (as if 39 and 40 had more purchase on the posts) when the screws were tightened. You can try the solder trick without removing the door or box. If you decide to replace 39 and 40, you have to remove the door and box.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandia man
When I was having the same problem, I replaced #38,39,and 40. The problem persisted. What finally fixed it was to apply some solder to the posts of part 38. Of course the diameter of the posts were increased which made inserting them harder but it seems the clamping was improved (as if 39 and 40 had more purchase on the posts) when the screws were tightened. You can try the solder trick without removing the door or box. If you decide to replace 39 and 40, you have to remove the door and box.
Nice solution
But for longer lasting fix, would soldering some .001" stainless shim stock around the post work?
Or is that adding too much dimension to the post?

I was thinking soft solder might not be very robust for extended usage.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:58 AM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think adding shim would increase the diameter too much. The solder seems to deform enough with the tightening of the screws to give better purchase on the posts. That's my rationale anyway. It's a overly fiddly mechanism and I just try to meet it with humor and creativity. Sometimes it wins. But we do drive 20+ year old cars.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:34 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't find my post, but look into what I did. Same issue, no matter how New the parts were, or how tight I got them. Take the cam piece ends that grab the u shaped latch. Where ends mate the latch. Score them, rough en up, so not smooth. Then do same to lengths of the U shaped latch. Gives some better purchase to the locking strength of that little cam. Hasn't failed yet....... 3 track dates since :-)

Quick Reply: Glove box retainer clip replacement