Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Oleg,

Didn't realize from your post that were tracking with the OEM pads, hence the original post. Since you are, then it sem syou got it straightned out.

I will say that track pads would really be eye opening for you.

E. J.</STRONG>

My thoughts exactly, even look at a "in-between" pad like the Hawk HPS or PF. I have had good luck with the HPS on my street car and the differnce from OEM is noticeable.

From my experience what causing the glazing is that the OEM pads don't handle the heat as well, nothing to do with break in procedures. On OEM pads I would just drive them normally and not overheat them for a 100 miles or so, I don't think you have to go through the same process you do with other pads, it won't hurt though...
Greg
Old 01-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts
Greg:

Actually, I too run OEM pads at DEs--they're great and I have not had any brake fade yet (they are a bit dusty, but no chatter). I may go to Pagids at some time, but for "advanced intermediate" drivers--I don't see the need ??

To your other point--I just installed Turbo rotors and OEM pads--driving these on my otherwise stock 993 for 150+ street miles did nothing to bed them in--car still went to anti-locks at about 50% braking. I even tried several 60-10 runs on the freeway--no appreciable change. Perplexing.

Took 2 30-minute sessions of hard (anti-lock!) braking at turn 7 and 10 at Road Atlanta today (it was 40 degrees) to get the pads bedded and gripping to their potential. Tracquest event was great, BTW.

Maybe it's just the Big Reds, but it seems factory pads do require some heavy bedding-in as described.

Chris C Atlanta
98 Carrera S
Old 01-14-2002, 08:48 AM
Rocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris C.......you said in one of your earlier posts that you were surprised at the lack of discussion on this topic.

I can tell you that's a positive thing, as it generally means that however you choose to bed in rotors or pads you are unlikely to experience any major problems in use. Unlike, is has to be said, a vast majority to other marques of car.

Rocket
Old 01-14-2002, 09:03 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Chris C:
<STRONG>Greg:

Actually, I too run OEM pads at DEs--they're great and I have not had any brake fade yet (they are a bit dusty, but no chatter). I may go to Pagids at some time, but for "advanced intermediate" drivers--I don't see the need ??

To your other point--I just installed Turbo rotors and OEM pads--driving these on my otherwise stock 993 for 150+ street miles did nothing to bed them in--car still went to anti-locks at about 50% braking. I even tried several 60-10 runs on the freeway--no appreciable change. Perplexing.

Took 2 30-minute sessions of hard (anti-lock!) braking at turn 7 and 10 at Road Atlanta today (it was 40 degrees) to get the pads bedded and gripping to their potential. Tracquest event was great, BTW.

Maybe it's just the Big Reds, but it seems factory pads do require some heavy bedding-in as described.

Chris C Atlanta
98 Carrera S</STRONG>

It has been a long time since I ran OEM pads and I think mine were Textar's and even in my first few DE's I would get a glazing. It felt like the pads just weren't grabbing, no problem with pedal feel. After a couple laps the pads would come back. You obviously have more experience with the OEM pads so I will defer to your knowledge.
Try the Pagids or other brand of pads and you will be surprised at the difference.
Greg

Quick Reply: Brake Bedding