Sponsored by:

New member speaking info on C4s

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Skincaredr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member speaking info on C4s

New member looking for insight. Looking for 993 wide body . Anybody have an opinion or knowledge of this car? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7999/overview/
Any help appreciated!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Skincaredr
6th Gear

Seeking info!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't know anything about that car but many here do not approve of Luxsport for whatever reason. What I do know is that the car would look 100 times better without that rear spoiler. Flat, standard, OEM deck lid would do wonders for the car.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Skincaredr
6th Gear

I have heard of the questions about Luxsport. I agree with rather not having tail, need to find one!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:07 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Look hard and long. No need to be in a hurry dude.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Looks to be a very clean, unmolested example. Equipped from the factory with the aero kit II is a valuable plus. The wing is a work of art, but I also prefer the clean lines of the stock flat decklid. You can source a decklid for $500 or so and have it painted. It's plug and play. But keep the wing, it belongs to the car.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Is it just me or do the stickers on the door jamb look like they are in the wrong place?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:14 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

My view is that when considering a 20-year-old car from a broker, ignore the broker, focus on the car. Have a really detailed inspection done with you present and if, at all possible, an owner of one of these cars who tinkers with them tagging along. An owner of one of these cars will notice all the small things that either got attention or didn't. These items being leading indicators of how fastidious the previous owner was in maintaining the car. Things like check straps, door pocket repairs, upgraded struts etc. An experienced owner of a 993 should test drive it for you as they will immediately notice, running conditions differing than their experience with their own car. These being departure points for further investigation.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Skincaredr
6th Gear

Where is the proper location for this car? I realize they can be replaced if damaged, does this effect value ? I would think if it signifies another issue. Dealer claims "sheet metal" has not been repainted, I have a message in if bumpers where touched up for stone chips, should I inquire about where stickers were or does that come under "sheet metal"
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Look at this picture: https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...d-dsc03878.jpg

The vin is below the latch, catalyst above the latch.

In the picture of the C4S for sale: https://www.cstatic-images.com/super...416254e85d.jpg, there is a cat sticker below the vin and corner edge wraps around the edge of the jamb. Doesn't look right to me. Could indicate paintwork.

If I was interested in this car I'd:
- Run a paint meter on the car
- Inspect that door jamb and behind it for signs of accident damage

Paintwork, to my mind, isn't automatically a bad thing if its done well. Fresh paint is nice to have on a driver-level car and can make the car look great. Its worth checking to ensure its not covering up an accident and you shouldn't pay collector-level dollars for a car that's billed as original paintwork if it has been repainted.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Skincaredr
6th Gear

Many thanks for the insight
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

If I was interested in this car I'd:
- Run a paint meter on the car
- Inspect that door jamb and behind it for signs of accident damage

Paintwork, to my mind, isn't automatically a bad thing if its done well. Fresh paint is nice to have on a driver-level car and can make the car look great. Its worth checking to ensure its not covering up an accident and you shouldn't pay collector-level dollars for a car that's billed as original paintwork if it has been repainted.
All good insights,
You can also drive it to a nearby body shop during your test drive and let a pro evaluate it for you as a pro will spot any paintwork in a moment and will be able to tell you if it is an overspray or involved sheet metal and/or structural components.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Srao
Advanced

One thing I noticed looking at this. I recently bought a 97 C4S with the factory Aerokit...It doesn't look like it is a factory Aerokit on this car. The easiest way to tell would be for them to send you a picture of the option codes on the sticker under the hood and it is easy to look them up online as there is a specific one for the factory aerokit.

From the site, it is missing the front spoiler that came with the Aerokit option (this one has the standard bumper) and the wing on the back doesn't look like the right OEM aerokit part. Also the Carrera 4S logo looks like it is in the wrong place.

When I was searching (was looking specifically for an OEM Aerokit optioned car), there were a bunch like this but the easiest way I could tell was just looking at the option code...hope that helps.

Good luck with the search!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:21 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Ask yourself why the yellow one's Ask is $15K lower than the black one with similar miles they also have in inventory. Both are '96 C4S with ~40K miles.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Srao
One thing I noticed looking at this. I recently bought a 97 C4S with the factory Aerokit...It doesn't look like it is a factory Aerokit on this car. The easiest way to tell would be for them to send you a picture of the option codes on the sticker under the hood and it is easy to look them up online as there is a specific one for the factory aerokit.

From the site, it is missing the front spoiler that came with the Aerokit option (this one has the standard bumper) and the wing on the back doesn't look like the right OEM aerokit part. Also the Carrera 4S logo looks like it is in the wrong place.

When I was searching (was looking specifically for an OEM Aerokit optioned car), there were a bunch like this but the easiest way I could tell was just looking at the option code...hope that helps.

Good luck with the search!
Whether the aero kit was ordered and installed at the factory, or it was installed at a later date, is somewhat meaningless. If it's an OEM factory Porsche part; as Foxman mentioned, it is worth good money!

Quick Reply: New member speaking info on C4s