Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tramont Cup wheels for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Tramont Cup wheels for the track?

Hi everyone,

I'm posting here even though I have a 997 because I need some feedback regarding the Tramont Cup wheels. Since I'm the only one that has those on a 997, I need some help from my fellow 993 rennlisters.

Is it ok to use these wheels on the track? I'm planning to do four 20 minute sessions next week and I haven't tracked the car since I got these wheels a few months back.

Thanks!

Below a pic of the wheels I'm referring to:
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM
BenceJ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea, why not?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BenceJ
yea, why not?
Just wondering if anyone had experienced any cracking or similar issues. I know Tramont makes a quality product, but when it comes to the stress levels experienced at the track wanted to double check if there where any negative experiences.

My guess is that it should be ok, but I'm just doing my homework. It doesn't hurt to ask

Last edited by ATSR; 03-31-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Your car looks fantastic!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BenceJ
yea, why not?
...Because they are boat anchor street wheels, for starters.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cactus
Your car looks fantastic!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by nine9six
...Because they are boat anchor street wheels, for starters.
Not looking to set any lap records. Just have some fun
Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
Hi everyone,

I'm posting here even though I have a 997 because I need some feedback regarding the Tramont Cup wheels. Since I'm the only one that has those on a 997, I need some help from my fellow 993 rennlisters.

Is it ok to use these wheels on the track? I'm planning to do four 20 minute sessions next week and I haven't tracked the car since I got these wheels a few months back.

Thanks!

Below a pic of the wheels I'm referring to:
I believe Paddy does and gets great times --

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...track-car.html

Your car looks sweet!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM
squidge
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Why wouldn't they be fine? You're probably putting less stress on them at your first track day than driving across a bunch of potholed highways on the way there. The big thing to check is the condition of your lug nuts/studs/bolts, and if you're using spacers, be sure you've got enough threads engaged.

This feels like more of an excuse to show us your purty retro 997.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911LeeN
I believe Paddy does and gets great times --

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...track-car.html

Your car looks sweet!
Thanks! This is the type of confirmation I was looking for.

Originally Posted by squidge
Why wouldn't they be fine? You're probably putting less stress on them at your first track day than driving across a bunch of potholed highways on the way there. The big thing to check is the condition of your lug nuts/studs/bolts, and if you're using spacers, be sure you've got enough threads engaged.

This feels like more of an excuse to show us your purty retro 997.
Hahaha thanks for the compliment

The reason why I'm asking is a combination of these being the first non-oem wheels I've ever put on a car, and the typical Rennlist paranoia of reading so many stories about cracked non-oem wheels at the track.

I installed titanium bolts when I got the wheels, the front ones being extended to account for the 5mm spacers that I had to install due to front caliper clearance issues.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Why wouldn't they be fine? You're probably putting less stress on them at your first track day than driving across a bunch of potholed highways on the way there.
Maybe. But unless you're going very, very gingerly, track driving creates a lot of stress.

On the track the wheels endure longer and more extreme heat cycles, far more than anything on the road. The spokes and the outer rim undergo prolonged tension during cornering (more than you think).

A pothole on the other hand is a brief and very focused point of stress. Depending on the hole, speed, wheel, car, etc., a hole can break any wheel.

Pothole damage is typically immediately apparent - a bend, crack (have to check for them), or totally destroyed wheel.

At the track, bad wheels can develop cracks around the bolt holes, spokes, or really anywhere if the quality is bad enough.

I'm not here to say whether Tramonts are good or not - I don't know. But it is worthwhile to invest in good wheels for the track, and regularly check them for defects.

The big thing to check is the condition of your lug nuts/studs/bolts, and if you're using spacers, be sure you've got enough threads engaged.
+1

And they look very nice on your 997! Especially with the stripe.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

If you stay off the track curbing the wheels will be fine. They at TUV rated so can take the workout. That said if want showroom wheels don't use them on the track
Old 04-01-2017, 01:25 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Maybe. But unless you're going very, very gingerly, track driving creates a lot of stress.

On the track the wheels endure longer and more extreme heat cycles, far more than anything on the road. The spokes and the outer rim undergo prolonged tension during cornering (more than you think).

A pothole on the other hand is a brief and very focused point of stress. Depending on the hole, speed, wheel, car, etc., a hole can break any wheel.

Pothole damage is typically immediately apparent - a bend, crack (have to check for them), or totally destroyed wheel.

At the track, bad wheels can develop cracks around the bolt holes, spokes, or really anywhere if the quality is bad enough.

I'm not here to say whether Tramonts are good or not - I don't know. But it is worthwhile to invest in good wheels for the track, and regularly check them for defects.

+1

And they look very nice on your 997! Especially with the stripe.
Thank you for the compliment and the feedback!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:26 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlme36
If you stay off the track curbing the wheels will be fine. They at TUV rated so can take the workout. That said if want showroom wheels don't use them on the track
I don't go off track (I hope)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:46 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The actual driving, no I wouldn't worry about that. but if you do what most do, you'll swap the tires for
R-rated tires, they stick better and take the heat better, but wear faster. This means more frequent tire
swaps, and this is when wheels get cosmetic damage.
Also the outer barrel on Tramont Cups are anodized, hence repairs are more difficult than you would have on painted wheels.

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup wheels for the track?