Supercharging my c4s

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:31 PM
RDF16
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knoxville Superchargers are about 20k. Just about to have the TPC kit
installed in my 94 Strosek Speedster for about 10k with clutch and
flywheel upgrade at AirPower Racing in Utah.

I did see a 993 cab with Tech Art blower in Dupont, considered buying
it over the Speedster but it had 47k miles on it.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:53 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these prices for real?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they are.

$6,495 for the kit + $500 misc parts + labor = aprox $9,000 - $10,000
Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Patentman
Instructor

Does anyone know if the TPC setup passes inspection and emissions in Massachusetts?

Here, during the inspection process, they put the car on a dyno or roller and bring it up to speed (45 MPH?) during an emissions test - not exactly sure what speed or if the sniffer is sniffing during the acceleration. I am also not sure if they have a visual engine check in this state. I woudl like to get the TCP setup, but not if I cant get an inspection sticker.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:15 PM
nateweiss
Intermediate

Default TPC Supercharger

I have a TPC supercharger on my 993 Targa and am in the process of having an intercooler installed and increasing the boost (at 5.8 lbs now) via a smaller pulley. I will keep you poested as to how it turns out! Anoyone else added an intercooler to a TPC supercharger kit?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I would think it would not be a problem here in MA. I would never allow them to put my car on the rollers - tell them the drive system won't allow it. There is a system in place to deal with cars with special (AWD, 4WD, etc. drive systems). A neighborhood gas station won't care what you have installed.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM
nateweiss
Intermediate

My TPC-supercharged 993 had no problem passing Boston emissions - I think the emissions may have actually fallen as I remember the car barely passed in the prior year and passed nicely after the kit was installed! Interestingly, the highway mileage went up from 24 MPG to 28 (the new ECU???), although I did have the car lowered a bit at the time I had the kit installed.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Patentman
Instructor

Nateweiss,

So how is this kit - are you happy with it? Did you have someone local put it on? Other than the suspension, did you do anything else to the car?

I called TPC a few months back and asked for a shop that does them locally - I wanted a shop that has done several figuring they would be aware of any issues, etc. They gave me the name of the shop in Canton Conneticut (mentioned in another post, cant remeber the name, search on conneticut and supercharger and it comes up). I called this shop and splke with the person - very nice and knowledgeable, willing to answer all my qyuestions - they have installed over 20 of these kits, not a problem thus far with any. I think I will have them take my car and put one on now since you indicated the inspection here is not a problem.

DC - I dont understand how putting the car on rollers is any different than driving it on the road - other than the lack of air flow over the engine (but they only keep it up to speed for a 30 second window or so I think). I unerstand since yours is 4WD however, not sure how they test those.

I just had my car inspected this week, and they did not need to dyno it, but just stuck the sniffer int he tailpipe. I asked the inspector why they did not need to dyno it and he said based on the year (anythign after 96), the computer can accurately compute the OBD reading based on the exhaust, and if it meets a certain threshold, there is no need to dyno the car. Mione is a 98 cab with 14K miles.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Patentman
Instructor

Also DC - I am not concerned if they have to dyno it I guess - but more from the visual inspectionprocess - if they see the superchanger, does MA inspection allow this type of modification? I wonder if the rules are online somehwere about what can and cannot be done to the car - or is it simply that if your emissions is ok, they dont care what your engine looks like.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:59 AM
RDF16
Advanced

Default Re: TPC Supercharger

Originally posted by nateweiss
I have a TPC supercharger on my 993 Targa and am in the process of having an intercooler installed and increasing the boost (at 5.8 lbs now) via a smaller pulley. I will keep you poested as to how it turns out! Anoyone else added an intercooler to a TPC supercharger kit?
Just got my Speedster back with the TPC, feels like driving a V-8.
TPC told me that they were coming out with a water to air intercooler
that would fit without a Turbo tail, is this the one you are installing?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Any update on the supercharger install?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:41 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Correct - if the emissions are OK they couldn't care...nor would a gas station employee know what to look for (in all likelyhood).
Old 03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Autometrics had a 97 C4S, with a TPC supercharger dynoed recently and it made 300 hp at the rear wheels. The car was not taken to redline when it was dynoed I am told.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:17 AM
Patentman
Instructor

How come the quotes on HP increase for a supercharger install vary so much in all these posts? I've seen people says its close to a TT (those are 405 HP correct?) and then others like Ron's that say 300HP. 300HP is only 18 more than stock (stock being 282HP for a 98 993 with varioram, and you lose the varioram with the supercharger kit). If I spent the $8K+ for this, I sure would want to feel like the car was really really faster, but a 20HP increase might not even be noticeable.

Having not driven boosted or even a turbo, does the TPC kit really give a good added punch to the power. Does an inntercooler addition with this kit even give more HP?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:23 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I think some of the confusion is that some people are referring to hp at the crank vs at the wheel...300hp at the wheel is approx 350-360 at the crank

Quick Reply: Supercharging my c4s