Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging my c4s

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 AM
tn911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 cab, 22k miles, with 17" SO3's. I talked with TPC about their kit and was told:

- my tires would be fine - but I mentioned I felt an 18" tire would be better suited - rep claimed I had plenty of rubber....(???)

- I would be able to keep my current retractable spoiler as is if I so desired vs the large whale tail fixed spoiler (which I have no problem with other than they want about $2k for it...)

- $10k to $11k turn-key price

- one week turnaround

- would not need any further mods (brake upgrade, suspension mods, etc)

I would appreciate any further comments/advice. I feel the TPC kit is my best path to more get up and go. I do not track this car.

I was also puzzled by a previous poster who was somewhat disappointed with the power increase on his conversion.

thanks
kbk
Old 01-15-2004, 11:55 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would vote for the standard non-turbo spoiler to keep the stealth look. Is the install with or without an aircooler? Will TPC be doing the install or a local shop?

Also, is passing smog an issue in TN? I looked into their kit when they were originally planning on getting it CARB (California Air Research Board) approved but that never happened. I have been told that a TPC supercharged car will pass the emissions test but will not pass the visual test.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:46 PM
tn911
5th Gear

TN has no emission checks whatsoever. They would install and paint the whaletail. I hope with an air cooler but would have to check.

kbk
Old 01-15-2004, 04:46 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

cool! keep us posted!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

tn911,

I'm getting one installed in a few weeks. The kit does not come with an intercooler. Midwest Eurosport in Chicago who is installing the kit for me say they can fab one for around $3K. Still debating whether that's a bit pricey or not.

An intercooler, IMHO is an aboslute must with any kind of forced induction to prevent detonation problems. If it happens severely $10-$15K to get the engine worked on.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:56 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

What do they check for during the visual test? If you took it to a standard shop, would they even know what to look for to not pass the car?

-nels
Old 01-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

jkw944,

does the lack of an intercooler concern you at all? That's the only reason I've been waiting.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:08 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Nels,

Some shops just give the engine bay a once-over looking for obvious signs of modifications. The tech would have to be blind to not see the blower. BTW, I've been told that blind can be purchased for a nominal fee, but there is a risk to both you and the shop.

At other shops, the tech will pull out the smog manual, which shows exactly what to look for in the 993. The blower would definitely fail this examination.

Going back to the question of returning the car to stock before selling it. If I bought a stock 993 and later found out that it had been reverted back to stock after having a blower installed I WOULD BE SERIOUSLY PISSED!!! I would consider this fraudulent misrepresentation, and would take legal action against the seller. I might not win, but I would feel wronged.

Anyone who would consider doing this without notifying the buyer is HIGHLY DISHONEST in my book. The words 'scum sucking SOB' come to mind. 'Ethically challenged' would be a more PC description. I am surprised that people on this forum seem to think there is nothing wrong with this practice. What's up guys??
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

jkw944,

I used to live in Elgin about 8 years ago, right by Randall & Hopps. If you haven't seen that part of Elgin in awhile, you wouldn't recognize it. Very built up.

Thanks for your post, it makes sense. I just worry about detonation. I guess running moderate boost and high oct gas would lessen the chances of that happening?

What are the by-pass pipes for ?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:46 AM
D.G..
Instructor

With respect to the 2.5" pulley, I recall from reading a series of posts a couple of years ago that the maximum RPM for the blower is somewhere around 18KRpm. With the 3" pulley, when the engine is a red-line the blower is spinning faster than it's max limit.

Replacing the 3" pulley with a 2.5" pulley will make that situation worse. With a 2.5" pulley, you can easily fry the blower if you red-line your engine often. Also, I seem to remember that the blower Mfgr. will not honor the warranty if it is used beyond specified RPMs.

This is part of the reason that this kit is not recommended for the track.

Just find out what the size of the driving and driven pulleys are, and the max rpm of the blower. The rest is 7th grade math.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:38 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by nels415
David,

What do they check for during the visual test? If you took it to a standard shop, would they even know what to look for to not pass the car?

-nels
Technically you are not supposed to have any part of the emission system modified unless the part is CARB approved...this would include the intake, header, etc. Most shops will ignore mufflers (I just passed with the Supercups on) and intake (also had an open airbox) but a supercharger is a bit harder to ignore. I think the avg. shop will not realize whether the part is stock or not so you need to find a friendly or clueless one; but if they notice it then you will fail you as there is a lot of downside...it a felony for them to knowingly pass a car that shouldn't have.

The guy at the shop also told me that nowadays everything is computerized and filed electronically with DMV...including if you do a pre-test inspection (I'm not sure I believe this part)!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:46 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I also heard it was computerized so there is no way to tamper with data. Spoke with a mechanic who belonged to the SMOG board and he said that superchargers would never pass emissions testing in CA. Don't know if that is completely true.

-nels
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I dont know how they measure smog in CA but my TPC-d C2 passed the usual smog test. Additional fuel is burnt only under acceleration via 7.-th injector, controlled by piggiback (?) computer. Idling or revving 3000 rpm with no stress, it should pass -- my personal speculation indeed.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:30 PM
MPB993
Instructor

hello,
I have run the TPC kit for about 2 years now done about 25k miles on it with lower compression 9.5. With a 2.6 pulley running about 9psi boost I measured the M90 max rpm as around 13.8k at red line. I also have water/alcohol injection and don't see any detonation which I watch as well. Just so you know it makes around 310-320 at the wheels with this setup.
Regards, mark.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:00 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

I have head of another company calle Supercharging of Knoxville that makes a kit for 993's with an intercooler. FYI

Quick Reply: Supercharging my c4s