Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brey Krause Harness Truss vs. DAS or FVD Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that only the 964 Cabrio and 993 Cabrio bars require some drilling. I think it is 3 holes per side for the main legs and the rear legs use the existing seat belt bolt locations for the rear sear outboard belt.
FWIW, I have also been told that the FVD bar is too thin in both diameter and wall thickness to meet PCA or POC requirements. It is 38mm diamter and 2.5mm wall thickness (1.5" and 0.095").
Old 02-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mentioned above is the problem of harness slipping
off the shoulders with stock seats.

As mentioned above, race seats with harness cut outs are a way to solve this in addition to getting other benefits.

If you want to keep your stock seats, all is not
lost though.

I had not heard of a "harness halo" but I did an
an event with PCA San Diego and they were required.

A "harness halo" is a loop of seat belt material
that goes around the top of your seat. The harnesses pass through two smaller loops in the "halo".

Picture here - <a href="http://www.sandiegomotorsports.com/Motorsports/Products/Safety/Belts/Belts.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sandiegomotorsports.com/Motorsports/Products/Safety/Belts/Belts.htm</a>

No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.

tim
Old 02-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Eric in Chicago:
<strong>Felker,
I would have to disagree with you, roll overs are not common but not out of the question. I have seen/been told of, 2 roll overs here in Chicago Regions DE. A great RS rolled at Blackhawk 2 years ago. Drop a wheel off in a high speed turn and try and correct, bad news. I have the DAS bar in my Cab (because it is a cab I need all the protection I can get). Think about this, If you have a harness bar in and you do roll over with enough force, your 6pt is going to hold you upright as your roof comes down to make you much shorter! If your going to in novice run groups and taking it easy, maybe you could get away with just a harness bar. For all the good the back seat does us, you might as well put a roll bar in and feel safe.
Anir, with a TT you are not going to be "taking it easy". If you have be bit by the bug, you will want a roll bar.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eric:

Do you have a pic of your car with the top down and the bar installed? Do you mind sharing it? I would love to see a cab with one.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
The car is in the shop getting the PSS9s installed, will post a pic when it comes back. It does require holes in the floor board (3 each side) One other thing, the bar comes "raw", I had the welds ground down and painted black by the body shop before installation. It looks very nice in a Cab
Old 02-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a link to someone else's DAS bar installed in a 964 Cab. <a href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jbalthasar/safety.htm" target="_blank">DAS bar in 964 Cab</a>
Old 02-26-2002, 03:23 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Cool

Hi,

Great discussion! Shows why this board is
great. Quick question about the DAS bar. To my
knowledge it leaves a small gap between the
B-pillar floor and the bottom of the bar. If this
is true, does it require a plate be welded to
to B-pillar floor to brace the DAS roll bar?
Thanks!
Tom
Old 02-26-2002, 03:48 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
No welding in a Cab. I dont think there is ever any welding with a DAS cab or coupe
Old 03-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the DAS bar today from Colin Dougherty. Should arrive within the week. I plan to powder coat it, and possibly cover it with chestnut brown leather to match my interior.

I want to thank John, EJ, Eric, Robert, Martin, and Jim for their help with this decision (and of course, you too, Greg)!

Can't wait to mate this upgrade to the GT3 seats, so I can stop bracing my entire body against the dead pedal in turns!

Quick Reply: Brey Krause Harness Truss vs. DAS or FVD Roll Bar?