993 Forum 1995-1998

sealant for rear reflector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sealant for rear reflector?

I recently purchased a new rear center reflector to replace my hazed-over original unit. The new one looked great, but after the first washing it was apparent that the new part was not water-tight like my old one. It wicked up lots of water into the reflector housing which later turned into condensation.

Upon closer inspection, you can clearly see that the black rubbery sealant used to join the red reflector lens to the black plastic housing was mating both surfaces together in the corners and edges, but it did NOT mate the long edges. The bead of sealant was run a couple of mm too far in from the perimeter edge to actually contact the reflector edge.

My local dealer re-ordered 3 others, and they all had similar issues - but to varying degrees.

So I'm going to fix it myself. Does anyone know what type of sealant is best used here?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Seems to me you will want to use a sealant that does not attack the plastic. I would consider clear 100 percent silicone bath caulk. It can be gotten in smaller squeeze tubes for precision application. Just remember less is better with these sort of sealants. I am not really sure how well the housing is sealed in the first place so I would leave some open sections so it can drain any liquid moisture that might form inside.

Andy
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I used this for my fog light restoration and it really does dry super clear. Also remains flexible & stretchy. Good stuff. Ace Hdw here has it in small tubes.

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
I am not really sure how well the housing is sealed in the first place so I would leave some open sections so it can drain any liquid moisture that might form inside.

Andy
Appreciate the comments, but no. I don't intend on keeping "breathing" gaps between the lens and the housing. The reflector is meant to be sealed, with the pressure "vents" at the rear of the housing to ensure it doesn't burst or cave at different elevations or temps. But not intended for air circulation.

My last new reflector had lots of air gaps, and if circulation or drainage was important the condensation would have eventually dried. But after weeks of dry conditions and heat from the sun and from driving, there was no sign that the gaps promoted any drainage or drying.

I was intending on using a similar flexible black caulk/sealant as what is used from the factory, but might consider clear silicone if I can't identify it here.

Any ideas about how to ID the factory caulk?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:01 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrmdir
I used this for my fog light restoration and it really does dry super clear. Also remains flexible & stretchy. Good stuff. Ace Hdw here has it in small tubes.

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
Sounds very promising based on the product description. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:31 AM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

^NP. Only caution I'd add is that it's extremely sticky out of the tube and and hard to clean up if you happen to smear it. I'd recommend fully masking everything but the gap.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3M black automotive weather stripping adhesive, comes in a small squeeze tube.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrmdir
^NP. Only caution I'd add is that it's extremely sticky out of the tube and and hard to clean up if you happen to smear it. I'd recommend fully masking everything but the gap.
yep, that was my intended approach. Leaving just a thin strip of lens/backing visible.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
3M black automotive weather stripping adhesive, comes in a small squeeze tube.
Perfect. I knew there was a 3M product behind this one
Old 03-25-2017, 04:33 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just return it, and see if you can get another one, Porsche parts come with a 1 year warranty. I had the same experience as you a year or so ago, I replaced my center reflector and the new one filled with water when I washed my car. I brought it back to Porsche and they ordered a new one and that one ended up leaking too! However, the third one we ordered was perfect and did not leak.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I ordered and returned 3 units, and each was as poorly sealed as the others. The parts counter guy and I felt like we'd be playing the order/return game indefinitely, and there is apparently no way of communicating with the parts factory about it. So I've decided to try to solve the problem myself...
Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
there is apparently no way of communicating with the parts factory about it.
Porsche Center Victoria (250) 590-3022 should have a contact at Porsche Classic @ PCNA.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I recently purchased a new rear center reflector to replace my hazed-over original unit. The new one looked great, but after the first washing it was apparent that the new part was not water-tight like my old one. It wicked up lots of water into the reflector housing which later turned into condensation.

Upon closer inspection, you can clearly see that the black rubbery sealant used to join the red reflector lens to the black plastic housing was mating both surfaces together in the corners and edges, but it did NOT mate the long edges. The bead of sealant was run a couple of mm too far in from the perimeter edge to actually contact the reflector edge.

My local dealer re-ordered 3 others, and they all had similar issues - but to varying degrees.

So I'm going to fix it myself. Does anyone know what type of sealant is best used here?
Snow,

Sent you a pm. Can you post some pics of this issue and where the sealing needs to be redone? I replaced my reflector too this winter but car is in storage. I wonder if I have the same issue to address before I wash the car. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:01 PM
deutschnine
Racer

Buy some of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windscreen-S...pYQ9Ir&vxp=mtr

It's all you need plus a surgical scalpel blade to cut it into thinner strips and press it into the gap with a tea small spoon.

A quick and easy fix

Quick Reply: sealant for rear reflector?