Sponsored by:

Is my 993 C4S overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
That's pretty harsh. This dude is an expert with these cars- do your research.
i hope there is a note of sarcasm in this statement that is not apparent.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
This statement lacks even a remedial understanding of physics. Theres a difference between having inadequate lubrication and no lubrication at all. An engine would seize when the power/inertia generated by the system cant overcome the force of friction.

Stick your fist in a Pringles can and vary how hard you clench, then tell me you cant increase friction and still move your hand
while his "within seconds" may have been hyperbole, an engine with inadequate lubrication will not last long at all. And of course, as the wear occurs, the rate of wear accelerates.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
i hope there is a note of sarcasm in this statement that is not apparent.
Agreed,
There is a difference between a "prolific poster" and an "expert with these cars".
I can't comment on where pp000830 fits on this spectrum.

Cheers

Craig
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll just say in terms of my credentials that I've been working on air-cooled 911's for over 20 years and have built many 911 engines, including 993 engines. Yes, it is true that a few seconds of low oil pressure will not cause a seized engine. But much more than that in either duration or pressure loss and you will spin a rod bearing -- curtains for your engine.

Bearings in an engine, and this goes for rockers/shafts and cams as well, ride on a thin film of pressurized oil. It's why using the right grade of oil and operating the engine in the right temperature range and correct bearing and casting tolerances are critical. Even a few seconds of metal to metal contact spells doom. The post from the yellow submarine guy is evidence of staggering ignorance. An engine in which metal-to-metal friction is occurring would not run long enough to generate extra heat. Do a Google image search for "spun rod bearing" to see what happens next. The idea that an engine will just chug along as metal parts rub against each other generating an overheating problem indicates a total lack of even rudimentary knowledge of engines.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:28 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I'll just say in terms of my credentials that I've been working on air-cooled 911's for over 20 years and have built many 911 engines, including 993 engines. Yes, it is true that a few seconds of low oil pressure will not cause a seized engine. But much more than that in either duration or pressure loss and you will spin a rod bearing -- curtains for your engine.

Bearings in an engine, and this goes for rockers/shafts and cams as well, ride on a thin film of pressurized oil. It's why using the right grade of oil and operating the engine in the right temperature range and correct bearing and casting tolerances are critical. Even a few seconds of metal to metal contact spells doom. The post from the yellow submarine guy is evidence of staggering ignorance. An engine in which metal-to-metal friction is occurring would not run long enough to generate extra heat. Do a Google image search for "spun rod bearing" to see what happens next. The idea that an engine will just chug along as metal parts rub against each other generating an overheating problem indicates not just a total lack of even rudimentary knowledge of engines, but an overactive imagination as well. Time to put the bong away in the yellow submarine.
Pretty obvious the OP knows little about oil as it relates to air cooled engines but he is putting it out there trying to learn. Maybe you know more than others posting here, maybe you don't. The advice that Andy gave may be helpful, maybe not. It was just a post. I am pretty sure he was trying to be helpful rather than demonstrate to others how smart he is. So happens that Andy has saved me thousands in repair bills. This is a community. No need to be a douchebag.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanH
This is a community. No need to be a douchebag.
+993 ...

A lot of internet warriors on here that are happy to point out a wrong vs letting things go.

"...let him who is without a mistake throw the first stone"

I think a better idea would be to offer a solution/idea to the OP looking for help. I'm sure he would appreciate the advice during this stressful time.

Last edited by shadow993; 03-23-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
wow ok...pringles example certainly demonstrates understanding of internal combustion engine and the physics involved. The point of Churchill was that once you lose adequate lubrication (oil starvation) the consequences will seize the engine almost immediately without any heating issues caused by excess friction.
If you have read the earlier posts in this thread, the "inadequate lubrication" was for 2 potential factors, low pressure and wrong oil weight. Since we dont know if OP has actual low pressure or a bad sender unit, the one piece we do know is he was using 0-40W and then switched to 20-50W, as stated in his posts. So yes, no oil will seize an engine quickly, but he has oil as far as we can tell. So the other factor is the likely incorrect oil weight, e.g. inadequate lubrication.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no rocket scientist, but my bet is that one of the earliest indicators of inadequate lubrication would be an increase in friction related heat. It may be fractions of a degree, but I bet it happens.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

A number of you need to learn to not personalize the discussion. Stop.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by il pirata
A number of you need to learn to not personalize the discussion. Stop.
lol...isn't what you just did?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 PM
NYC993
Drifting

If you have read the earlier posts in this thread, the "inadequate lubrication" was for 2 potential factors, low pressure and wrong oil weight. Since we dont know if OP has actual low pressure or a bad sender unit, the one piece we do know is he was using 0-40W and then switched to 20-50W, as stated in his posts. So yes, no oil will seize an engine quickly, but he has oil as far as we can tell. So the other factor is the likely incorrect oil weight, e.g. inadequate lubrication.
I was replying to your post, which indicated that Chirchill had no idea what he was talking about in his reply to the guy who has no idea what he is talking about. Gotta put a smiley face
Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by SammyS
Thank you gentlemen. I have just changed the oil to 20W-50 from 0w-40. partial improvement followed with .75 bar of pressure at warmed up idle. Going to take it into the shop. I am thinking maybe the sensor is bad because I hit the gas on it a couple times while driving and was +4 bar above 4000rpm but then returned to the .75 bar at idle...
oil pressure sending units do go bad. If oil pressure really drops, this should be accompanied by and oil pressure red light.

Heavier oil will cause higher pressure, but .75 is still way too low.

And like quad said, I'm not sure what 285 OBD reading is. When you say gauge is 1/3 from hot, do you mean? 9 o'clock? 10 o'clock? Is this while idling for a while? Or driving?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the pressure gauge move with the ignition on? When mine went bad recently, it would show 2 bar with the ignition switched on, 4 bar cold start, and 1.5 max when warm,. PO had replaced the OE sender with an aftermarket one that went bad after 3k miles.

And yes, access to the sender is a pain....

Name:  A1E7DFE4-0108-4724-96F2-8604A5406209_zps9ipaowon.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  177.8 KB
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

^ WOW, where is the sender unit? I assume you can replace it without dropping the motor with a little finesse and Rennlist advice?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

^ WOW, where is the sender unit? I assume you can replace it without dropping the motor with a little finesse and Rennlist advice?
Remove the intake and move sai pump and access is excellent

Quick Reply: Is my 993 C4S overheating?