993 Forum 1995-1998

Cleaning Aluminum Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO,

Never, absolutely never ever use any abrasive media, aside from soda, to clean engine cases. Soda is water soluble and washes out very nicely with hot water.

Glass beads, flap wheels, walnut shells, plastic,.....any of that stuff spells disaster if any residue is left behind in the cleaning process and its VERY difficult to get all of it out of all the passages in the case.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Use dry ice. I believe that will work best. Basically frozen CO2 at minus 170 deg. F. In a media blast application. On impact dry ice expands and cleans/removes all contaminants including paint. This process works even better if the delta T case-blast media can be increased (heated case). No secondary contaminants Steve Weiner is concerned about. You might find a local guy that does it for you. I've used this application to perform TPM on equipment and machinery and had great success. Google "Cold Jet".

Another alternative would be an acid wash similar to cleaning aluminum rims.

​​​​​​​Best, Andre

Last edited by Holytin; 03-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

A Harbor Freight soda blaster and water makes a nice "do it at home kit" for engine/trans cases.

Be prepared to wear a respiratory filter of some sort as there will be a lot of bicarbonate dust around.

Make sure your garage door is closed unless you want bicarb all over everything.

Your driveway will wash off as nicely as the workpiece with water, make sure to flush all the galleries.

Personally, for engine case I also use a Stomski squirter blasting tool to blow out and test piston squirters and R&R the case plugs with a slide hammer & press to flush completely.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how safe it is, but Mag wheel cleaner will make the aluminum bright and clean again, I wouldn't leave it on too long tho

Quick Reply: Cleaning Aluminum Cases