993 Forum 1995-1998

Here is my new 993 from Macau

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 AM
hypeber
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Here is my new 993 from Macau

This car was first purchased by my friend's dad. He had it since 94. With 20+ years, he only driven about 60,000km. I been asking him to sell since 2012 but he never want to sell anyone. Lately, his son knew I bought an old 964, and suddenly he asked me if I still want it. He gave me to drive it on the weekend. At fridt I thought I won't like it since it's a tip, but it turns out ok. So here is the car and I will start my 993 Project right away. The car is in superb condition expect the brakes are little rusty since it been since there in the garage.
i will still restore parts of it though.

I am planning to change all filters and seals first. Then I will flush all the old fluids and put new. Car will be also repainted.

anyway here is the car

Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Great score! What colour are you going to paint it? The 993 is one of the few cars that I think looks great in white.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Very nice and congrats. You don't see too many white 993s. I would keep the colour.
Tippys are highly underrated IMO. I always use manual mode and shift with the lever. I find the steering wheel shifters clumsy and sometimes I hit a shift by accident. I am thinking about changing to a non Tiptronic wheel.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:18 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Repaint it, for color or is there something wrong with the paint?
White is actually a very nice color for these cars. All things being equal painting it an alternate color will reduce its value.
The rotors will develop a coat of light rust from sitting. If you drive it a little the rust may be buffed off by the brake pads from use. An informal way to check the rotors for wear is to look along the outer edge of the face of the rotors. If you see a tall ridge along the diameter that appears where the brake pad doesn't touch the rotor this indicates wear. The definitive test is to measure the thickness of the rotor, something easily done with a micrometer. The minimum value is published in the shop manual.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Congrats! Something wrong with the paint? Looks good in the photos.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM
hypeber
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
Great score! What colour are you going to paint it? The 993 is one of the few cars that I think looks great in white.
Oh just repainting Ito its original Grand Prix White. Not changing to another

color.
Originally Posted by AllanH
Very nice and congrats. You don't see too many white 993s. I would keep the colour.
Tippys are highly underrated IMO. I always use manual mode and shift with the lever. I find the steering wheel shifters clumsy and sometimes I hit a shift by accident. I am thinking about changing to a non Tiptronic wheel.
Strange, I don't have shifters on the wheels. I am changing mine to mono. I don't like the chestnut steering wheel.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Congrats! Something wrong with the paint? Looks good in the photos.

There is some paint crack on the left passenger side bottom corner to the roof alone those rain guard. Nothing major. However in the side fender, I can feel is not smooth. You can feel the paint is lightly not attach to the car. Its like you can feel all these tiny pimples coming from the under layer of paint. I am not sure what they are called. There are also some scratches in the rear bumper. I just want to make it nice again. so thinking just repainting the whole car. I am sure a Good detailer can make it great again without repainting it. But I live in Macau, I tried a lot of detailers are they are very horrible to be honest. I have a 991 and I did spell 4 times to get it right. Xpel had to contact me directly after seeing the outcome.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Repaint it, for color or is there something wrong with the paint?
White is actually a very nice color for these cars. All things being equal painting it an alternate color will reduce its value.
The rotors will develop a coat of light rust from sitting. If you drive it a little the rust may be buffed off by the brake pads from use. An informal way to check the rotors for wear is to look along the outer edge of the face of the rotors. If you see a tall ridge along the diameter that appears where the brake pad doesn't touch the rotor this indicates wear. The definitive test is to measure the thickness of the rotor, something easily done with a micrometer. The minimum value is published in the shop manual.
I been driving it for a week now and it seems a lot of rust there. I brought to my guy and he told me I should change it. Anyway I already ordered some rotors and pads. I want it to look happy. : )
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Steering wheel shifters where known as Tiptronic S. Maybe it was optional in your market in 1994. As far as I know, it was standard everywhere else.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful car!

After fluids and filters, think about refreshing the suspension.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats! And thanks for mentioning that a Tip, especially in white ain't that bad.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM
hypeber
Instructor

Originally Posted by nine9six
Congratulations on a beautiful car!

After fluids and filters, think about refreshing the suspension.

i actually am. I was reading the forum and was looking at the M030 springs with the blistein hd. Then I went and search for those springs, and there were a site selling them for 350 just for front. With the rear and the bilstein, is almost as much as the pss10, so I probabaly will just get pss10
Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 AM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and welcome! I grew up in Macau so this caught my eyes. What shop are you using the do the work? Not many shops knows air-cool anymore...
Old 03-15-2017, 02:03 AM
hypeber
Instructor

Originally Posted by hchc
Hi and welcome! I grew up in Macau so this caught my eyes. What shop are you using the do the work? Not many shops knows air-cool anymore...

this previous owner goes to the one across from Macau daily. 森達
Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 AM
hypeber
Instructor

This is the dots on the paint I was talking about
Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 AM
hypeber
Instructor

At the end I decide to change the car color to brewster green. I also got Some turbo s parts and hre wheels for the car. Stay tuned

Turbo s bumper front and new rear, my rear was all cracked due to the exhaust pipe
Turbo s rear spoiler
Hre wheels
Getting painted to Brewster

Last pic of being white
Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeber
At the end I decide to change the car color to brewster green. I also got Some turbo s parts and hre wheels for the car. Stay tuned

Turbo s bumper front and new rear, my rear was all cracked due to the exhaust pipe
Turbo s rear spoiler
Hre wheels
Getting painted to Brewster

Last pic of being white
Really worn drivers seat and door armrest for just 60.000k kilometers!
It's important to maintain the leather in order to keep it supple and last long! Treated right the seats will basically last for ever! Looks like the seats were never treated?

Quick Reply: Here is my new 993 from Macau