993 Forum 1995-1998

What is the liability of shop for PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I bought from an extremely diligent owner who had kept up a great maintenance and upgrade regime.

When I got the car it had torn tie rod boots, obviously bad suspension bushings and all 4 CV joints torn and axles worn out as a result.
Did the records reflect work recently done in these areas? If not then you shouldn't have been surprised this work was over due.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Did the records reflect work recently done in these areas? If not then you shouldn't have been surprised this work was over due.
Suspension was portrayed as in good shape with recent work, yes.

With the Axles and Tie-rods I wasn't surprised they were worn, just surprised that torn boots didn't come up in an inspection.

I'm not trying to say anything untoward occurred and overall I was satisfied. I wanted to share it as an example of how things slip through even if you are doing good due diligence and how almost every car is going to need 'something'.

Part of it is that as a new owner you will look at the car with fresh eyes and will want to fix things that have crept up on the previous owner - things they got used to slowly over time and no longer noticed.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

PPI is one of many tools used for used car buying valuation and budget management. You will never get a 20 year old car that requires zero sorting after taking possession. A PPI report gives you a working list of issues requiring attention immediate or not.

Rule of thumb is buyer typically needs to factor in purchase + 10% of purchase price to sort out an used car. You hit that goal, then it was a fair buy at your given budget.

These cars are not an investment. They are used for driving pleasure. Once you lose sight of this, then you are inviting in a host of other problems and issues clouding ownership experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Suspension was portrayed as in good shape with recent work, yes.

With the Axles and Tie-rods I wasn't surprised they were worn, just surprised that torn boots didn't come up in an inspection.
Did you see an invoice of suspension purchase and install with mileage notation?

Your PPI report is only as good as the PPI list a shop has on file to check and quality of technician performing the work.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes agreed. There was definitely more that I could have done, including a more detailed inspection on my own. Lessons learned.

I'm well within the 10% rule of thumb you portrayed and hopefully I don't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm very happy with the car and I figure its all part of the experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
You will never get a 20 year old car that requires zero sorting after taking possession. .
My opinion is that there are no cars out there that need zero sorting period. I bet for every car that some seller claims needs absolutely nothing, any number of rennlisters could spot some issues within 30 minutes with the car.

They are old cars and everyone has different standards. That said, don't tell me its perfect if it ain't.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

When it comes time to sell the yellow cab, the add will read: "'95 Porsche 993. Service records available for many years. Refuse to describe condition. If you'd like to buy it, come see it or send a trusted representative and decide".
Old 03-13-2017, 05:53 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Oooouch. You are in Kansas City. Hope you did not have BHR do the PPI. See the crashed GT3RS thread.
I lived near Kansas City for many years and initially used BHR. Then, I found Aaron putting his racing ahead of his business and went with John Clark at Clark Collision Center. He is the absolute best mechanic I have ever experienced - highly recommend him!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I

Originally Posted by andrewjn
Id like to get feedback/post a warning etc for everyone. Here's my story:

I love love love 993s. I just purchased my third one (1997 TT, 1997 c4 cab, 1996 C2) so I'm no stranger to these cars. I frequently read the forums but I don't post a lot. I've had the C2 for a month and purchased it
from a private owner. Beautiful car cosmetically. Mid range miles in the 50s.

Here's my story: lots of conversation with the owner and PPI done (same shop owner serviced the car). PPI showed only belts need replaced and front rotors ($500). Shamefully I didn't go out and see the car and drive it in person. On delivery of the car it is just as described and represented....then I drove it. Grinding from 1st to 2nd gear unless I'm very deliberate in shifting, car pulls to the right, and a very disturbing shuttering on idle. I could tell this on driving 2 blocks and I'm not a mechanic. So I take it to my Indy. Tell him to look it over....in a nutshell his is what he finds:

Clutch is bad
Needs alinement
Air filter
Needs engine mounts
Needs front rotors and pads
Cylinder 6 not firing--needs new ignition harness

Crap; okay fix it. He gets in there and oh by the way the flywheel is warped too and needs to be replaced as well.

Crap; okay do it. Then I get a call; we put everything back together and the idle problem is not fixed although the ignition harness WAS cracked and old and needed replaced. They break it down and find that cylinder 6 has a compression of 20% and one of the valves is burned out....they recommend a top end rebuild....uggghhhhh!!!!

So now I'm going thru what we all dread. I paid a fair price but staring at a 15000 repair bill. I have a great car. And when they are done it will need absolutely nothing. Everything will be done that could possibly need to be. So I understand these cars are old. Things break and it's expensive to fix. I also realize that I should have seen the car in person before buying. And I'm still happy, in a glass half full kind of way.

But what do you all think? Did the reputable shop who did the PPI severely drop the ball? Did the lie to me? Was there negligence? What about the previous owner? I just don't understand how you could own a car and take "great" care of it and not know these things were going on....

I welcome opinions and thoughts no matter how harsh....

I can give you an opinion if you post the sellers for sale ad.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:44 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
My opinion is that there are no cars out there that need zero sorting period. I bet for every car that some seller claims needs absolutely nothing, any number of rennlisters could spot some issues within 30 minutes with the car.

They are old cars and everyone has different standards. That said, don't tell me its perfect if it ain't.
my car needs nothing! Except for a Cup steering wheel.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This sux, more and more people getting taken on the 993s..... many even after PPI. I got screwed as well on a PPI car I bought years back and it was a brutal experience. Makes your situation look like a cake walk if makes you feel any better

You sound positive about it given the mess and hope once done you get an awesome machine...

take care
Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 PM
bayareasteve
Rennlist Member

Ditto---bought a car in New Mexico and relied on PPI from shop there...where owner had a relationship.
To the shops credit, the guy did tell me he doesn't do PPI's because the risk is just not worth it.
He said he was only doing it as a favor to seller.
He did point out most of cars minor flaws... spark plug wires, small leak on lower valve covers, seats worn, hood and bumper rock chips...
I bought the car after going to New Mexico and driving it...all the way to San Francisco in one shot.
Still have it, love it, and have fixed everything, plus PSS10.
Next up is a respray of hood, bumper, and hips...
72k and still on original clutch.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Derek911
Racer

I think PPI's are overated. There is nothing better than seeing, listening, and driving for yourself... Especially if you are familiar with the car and have owned or driven one or two.
If it's not smoking, leaking oil, starts, drives well, and looks good, what more do you need? Yes, it may need top end work or have other issues, but PPI's can't find everything anyway. If fact, my car runs so well, that if I were selling it, I wouldn't even allow people to PPI it for fear of it being damaged by the PPI. I think if someone would look at and drive my car and still want a PPI, I would think they are crazy. I think a knowledgeable buyer would be able to tell if a car needs further evaluation. Also, a knowledgeable and honest seller is worth more than you can spend on the best PPI money could buy.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek911
I think PPI's are overated. There is nothing better than seeing, listening, and driving for yourself... Especially if you are familiar with the car and have owned or driven one or two.
If it's not smoking, leaking oil, starts, drives well, and looks good, what more do you need? Yes, it may need top end work or have other issues, but PPI's can't find everything anyway. If fact, my car runs so well, that if I were selling it, I wouldn't even allow people to PPI it for fear of it being damaged by the PPI. I think if someone would look at and drive my car and still want a PPI, I would think they are crazy. I think a knowledgeable buyer would be able to tell if a car needs further evaluation. Also, a knowledgeable and honest seller is worth more than you can spend on the best PPI money could buy.
+1
I got a PPI when I bought mine in '08. It made me feel better at the time because that is what you are supposed to do, due diligence and all that. I did not really get any value out of it beyond what I would have discovered in one hour by my self with the car. If you paid for a full leak-down and compression test + oil analysis maybe that would be worth it.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek911
Hi Derek,

Maybe not, depending on who performs the PPI.

Properly done, a PPI includes a leakdown test and thorough inspection of the engine noting anything that needs replacement.

Further, a close inspection of the chassis, transmission, clutch/flywheel test, driveshafts, bushing check, shocks, all rubber suspension boots, oil lines, wheel bearings, calipers, rotors, and pads.

Lastly, the car is looked over very thoroughly for any evidence of undocumented repainting and body repairs. If requested, one can check the paint for thickness which can also detect body filler.

JMHO, of course.

Quick Reply: What is the liability of shop for PPI