993 Forum 1995-1998

Cost of 993 clutch and flywheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:41 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cost of 993 clutch and flywheel replacement

Been quite some time since I've posted. I would appreciate any feedback from you guys. I've searched the threads and I've found some older numbers...but I'm wondering what the going rate is for parts and labor for a clutch and flywheel replacement circa 2017. My car is in for service and it's going to be a killer bill...engine mounts, clutch/flywheel, belts, front brakes (pads and rotors), air filter/alignment....I think parts are looking like 2400 for the transmission parts alone....uggghhh
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am gearing up for the same thing possibly.... I think 3000-3200 is a baseline and that's clutch and flywheel.... but when in there and dropping the engine etc etc I think safe to Budget 4k.

Have you looked around for best place to buy the clutch and flywheel? Your going with Light weight flywheel?

Originally Posted by andrewjn
Been quite some time since I've posted. I would appreciate any feedback from you guys. I've searched the threads and I've found some older numbers...but I'm wondering what the going rate is for parts and labor for a clutch and flywheel replacement circa 2017. My car is in for service and it's going to be a killer bill...engine mounts, clutch/flywheel, belts, front brakes (pads and rotors), air filter/alignment....I think parts are looking like 2400 for the transmission parts alone....uggghhh
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm going to put the oem stuff back in ..dual mass flywheel and clutch. My mechanic tells me they are solid parts and i don't intend to do any crazy driving. I also like keeping the car origional. I did look around. Patrick Motorsports sells the pack for around 1300 i believe but my indy won't let me bring in parts from outside and wont necessarily match internet prices. I DO feel that they should be able to make a little money other than labor prices (but how much?). I did not call around. I figure that the dealer will be higher. Incidentally they are replacing the ignition wires too...so that saves some labor. My valve cover gaskets on both sides upper and lower have been replaced. I don't think there is anything else "while they're there" needs to be done? The whole thing is costing over 7K (gulp)....
But yes...seems like the whole thing is going to be around 3500ish for clutch and flywheel.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"Indy wont let you"????? Don't ask, tell!!!! It's your car, unless he's gonna warranty "his clutch", he really shouldn't make these demands. So if your wife buys you a complete clutch kit, he won't put it in? Sorta moronic.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 PM
PorscheTech993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overboosted28 a lot of places try to shy away from installing "owner supplied parts" these days. It often ends up costing them a lot of time and hassle if the owner gets the wrong parts for the vehicle. For instance, you might not know the parts are incorrect until the engine and transmission are out of the vehicle and now you are stuck with the car on the lift. Then you have to wait until the customer deals with the place he got the parts from. It can be very inconvenient for the shop and ultimately costs them time and money.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I am gearing up for the same thing possibly.... I think 3000-3200 is a baseline and that's clutch and flywheel.... but when in there and dropping the engine etc etc I think safe to Budget 4k.

Have you looked around for best place to buy the clutch and flywheel? Your going with Light weight flywheel?
Second that one. My Indy quoted $3,500 and my Porsche dealer asked $4,500. Figure in a couple hundred $$$ for stuff to do while you are in there. Lightweight flywheel I didn't do although I initially wanted to - I listened to my Indy and don't regret a thing. These last gen aircooled engines are just perfect with their stock set-up and I did not want to take any chances. I know, many will disagree with this, but that's just my honest opinion.

​​​​​​​Cheers Andre
Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

How many miles on the car and do you have service records?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

3-3.5k tops with new flywheel. I'd make sure you need new flywheel if you are keeping car stock and it hasn't been beaten up too much.

edit: consider getting new starter since tranny is out if it hasn't been replaced.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you assure ya have all the correct parts, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe have a better relationship with Indy, than just being a number.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheTech993
Overboosted28 a lot of places try to shy away from installing "owner supplied parts" these days. It often ends up costing them a lot of time and hassle if the owner gets the wrong parts for the vehicle. For instance, you might not know the parts are incorrect until the engine and transmission are out of the vehicle and now you are stuck with the car on the lift. Then you have to wait until the customer deals with the place he got the parts from. It can be very inconvenient for the shop and ultimately costs them time and money.
exactly!
Unless indy knows you and that you know what you are doing, I see how they may hesitate. With this aircooled craze there is definitely a shortage of mechanics. Sometimes I wonder who is the customer with most of the indy shops. I don't even bother with dealers after I was quoted $360 to flush my brakes a few years ago.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
If you assure ya have all the correct parts, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe have a better relationship with Indy, than just being a number.
To put it more simply parts are a profit center for most indies. Additionally the shop is guaranteeing their work; how can they guarantee something they didn't provide. When you look at a job in its totality, the difference between what you can buy the parts vs. what the dealer charges is fairly insignificant. That being said some shops allow the customer to provide parts and others don't. It's more about their policy and less about the "relationship."
Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Most Indy's wont let you bring parts, if they are going to provide any warranty.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:47 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

My guy quoted under 3 k for Oem replacement. You don't need to drop the motor to do this either
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm doing all this work right now DIY. Parts total over the course of the last few months has probably been about 4K. No labor cost except my time and I get to clean everything!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:53 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

When I did mine I sourced the LUK dual mass flywheel and Sachs Clutch Kit off of ebay, worked out fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-964-...=mtr#vi-ilComp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-97-PORSCH...tWom~F&vxp=mtr

Also, when I've talked to garage owners who do install customer supplied parts they had admitted to padding their labor hours or upping the hourly rate 20% or so. If I ran a shop I wouldn't allow owner supplied parts either, too many ways it could go wrong.

Quick Reply: Cost of 993 clutch and flywheel replacement