Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield Gasket too small

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ It's a little difficult to be precise because there is a slight curvature - I would say it is about 19mm or 3/4 of an inch. If you have a gap only on one side, even after the new seal I'd say your windshield is slightly off-center.

Hope it works for you...
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I asked around to various dealers and found only one had a front windshield "cover frame" with a 2016 (May) fabrication date. All the others were Oct 2014. Ordered it, very hopeful that it was 2 or 3 mm wider than the one on my car (which is new, but had a Oct '14 date.)

When it arrived, I was quite disappointed to see that the May '16 version was exactly the same width as the Oct '14 version. I was able to return it, losing just $20 on postage.

I contacted Pelican and they were kind enough to look into their stock. All the Genuine Porsche ones they had were dated 2014.

So, if anyone knows how to find the slightly wider version of this cover frame, I'd appreciate the lead.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 387 Likes on 241 Posts

So what's the best practice to remove the front window seal without damage?

How do you start? What tools?

/
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ Haven't done it yet. Hoping someone will chime in. My attempts indicate its quite difficult without doing any damage. Thinking to try some sort of lubricant.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

I removed outer gaskets, sealed the gap with polyurethane and re installed the gaskets this winter. I found that the gasket behaved differently when my garage was warmer or colder. When it was warmer the gasket was much easier to fit nicely in the groove but it tended to stretch more. The gasket changed dimensionally quite a bit from one day to the next.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:46 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Reviving this thread as it has happened to me. Needed a windshield replacement. Insisted on OEM glass. Installer hesitated, but I insisted. Now i know why he hesitated. The current OEM outer rubber gasket is indeed too small to adequately cover the lower corners of the windshield frame.

Leaves a little gap that water collects in and sits. The installer said the aftermarket windshields come with a larger gasket, as well as their own channel. We tried two separately ordered OEM gaskets. Both had the same result.

Last edited by alsamrob4; 07-21-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 07-21-2021, 12:07 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

OE as in you ordered them from a Porsche dealership or OEM?
Old 07-21-2021, 12:24 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 489 Posts

Having done my own factory glass install and factory seal (trouble free) that windshield does not look properly set.

Did the installer have/use the Porsche window gauges used to properly set the glass? It looks too low and not in the right position. Unfortunately, this looks like installer error. Aftermarket glass would not have resulted any a better fit.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:40 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

The gasket was ordered from a Porsche dealer. It had a manufacture date of April 2019. The glass was also ordered, with another gasket, from a Porsche dealer as well.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:42 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Yes, this installer is recommended by both local Porsche dealer, and my indy.

If the glass were installed too low, wouldn't the gap in the gasket be at the top?

I can see the slight line where my prior gasket sat, and it the space between it and the current gasket is equidistant all the way around.

Last edited by alsamrob4; 07-21-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Adding an observation
Old 07-21-2021, 02:04 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

But does he have experience doing these 993 windshields specifically? Older cars mount in a gasket and newer cars are less finicky with the exact position and depth (all that is required is a consistent bead of adhesive and eyeballing things).

The 993 glass is very unique. First, you need a specific height of adhesive as stipulated in the manual. Must be applied in a pyramid (v-notch) shape and has to be an exact height and width at the base. This helps control the amount of "squeeze" so the glass cannot be easily set to deep or too high. Second, you need to insert some spacers at the bottom of the glass which are also an exact spec, so the glass does not slide down too far towards the cowl. Lastly, you need special gauges which are used to set the depth of the glass into the opening (how far you push the glass down to squeeze the adhesive).

If the installer did not follow these to the letter, that explains your problem. Looking at your picture, to me the glass looks too low (deep) in the channel. Which is a result of incorrect adhesive height, lack of gauges or both. If you push the glass in too deep, the seal will not sit right and it will roll-over. Also, if the spacer blocks were not used at the cowl and he simply eyeballed it and centered the glass, your glass is likely too close to the roof line and compounding your problem.

Based on doing the work firsthand, the glass should be closer to the cowl than the roofline. It should also be almost flush (just a hair below) at the cowl and at the A pillars. It should be a bit of recess at the roofline. The gaps at the cowl and A pillars should be substantially less than the roofline.

Happy to measure my seal for you which was purchased in March of last year but I think you'll find it's the same size and unfortunately your glass will likely need to come out. Also, don't let this installer convince you that aftermarket glass would have somehow ended in a better result.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 07-21-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:25 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Was really hoping that wasn't the case. This installer has worked on 993s before, and indicated that he had the experience, gauges and instructions.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:02 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

I just measured my seal and with both ends lifted up so that the seal is totally flat (not curved/rolled) it measures exactly 3/4" wide.

Also, just to be sure (you never know), the seal is mounted correctly right? From underneath, the wider flap is the one towards the body side, correct? The shorter flap towards the glass.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
I just measured my seal and with both ends lifted up so that the seal is totally flat (not curved/rolled) it measures exactly 3/4" wide.

Also, just to be sure (you never know), the seal is mounted correctly right? From underneath, the wider flap is the one towards the body side, correct? The shorter flap towards the glass.
Thanks for all of the info. I will check all that when I get home.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:36 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Agreed on the glass fitment ^^

Fwiw I replaced the windshield trim with oem from Pelican I bought in January (but didn't look at production date) and it fit nice/same as original.

Quick Reply: Windshield Gasket too small