purchasing advice/offer vs. asking

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 05:46 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts
Default purchasing advice/offer vs. asking

Read the FAQ regarding purchasing, good adivce and humerous too. FAQ says 10% below asking is the max. low offer. I think this is fair and may even be too much to some (i would not be insulted by such an offer but wodering if others would). I am looking at a car that is in the lower end of the pricing scale for year/mileage/condition (hence my concern that 10% may be too much). We have agreed that the purchase would be subject to a PPI. I think that with the PPI, the parties would agree on price, give a deposit then complete the deal if the PPI comes back fine. I assume that any problems arrising from the PPI would be negotiated from the agreed pirce. Has anyone done a deal with the PPI done first followed by the pirce negotiation? I have bought many cars (too many) but never with a PPI. TIA

Jamie
Old 11-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie,

My purchase went how you are describing. I had agreed on price before the PPI. This was based on the PPI coming back without any issues. When the PPI came back the car needed about $1500.00 worth of misc stuff. Nothing big. I split the difference with the PO and took it off the agreed price. In my case the PO's bottom dollar price happened to be the final price anyway, so he was OK with it.

Most importantly, do what you feel is right and are most comfortable with. There are usually more sellers than buyers in this market.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:07 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no relationship between the asking price and the offer and the value of an item.

I would do some homework/research do determine what you think the car is worth and then I would begin negotiations.

I would not allow the asking price to affect my opinion as far as actual value is concerned. You offer what you are willing to pay...period.

Regarding PPI, your assumptions are in line with how I would expect the process to play out.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I negotiated my price before the PPI. Results of PPI were either to be handled by seller or taken off of prenegotiated price.

Quick Reply: purchasing advice/offer vs. asking