Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Paint Thickness Measurements

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If your only need to read up to 40 mils, +/- .1 mil accuracy I would guess around $1900.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Am I assuming correctly that the car is a very low miles investment grade car. How many miles on it?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

I am a little loathe to post this for fear of polarizing feedback but here goes.

Here are paint-meter readings from a PPI today on a 993 C2.

Seller told me all original paint but PPI guy doesn’t believe it.

What do you think?

Thanks so much.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Don't let a paint meter kill your deal. As others have mentioned it could be heavy OEM. If a panel has been resprayed properly and you can't tell without meter what's the worry? Barring any bondo detection I would not think twice about panel repair. I'd focus on the potential rust issues before nothing else!
I got a PhD on this latelly .....!
I did a ppi on my car 2 weeks ago with probably the most picky and best shop downhere, and the hood reading was over the average
it has 60K miles and after all are not new cars, it could be resprayed ... i have all records and there is not accident reports , but anyway I got paranoic about the reading ...
my mechanic took couple of body sections appart just to check signs of damage ,crush , new bolts, RUST or whatever hidden in the front section of the car that might indicate sign of problems or repairs ...
not only was perfect, nothing rusted, bended, twisted but even found original marks and stickers in there ..
probably one owner resprayed that , difficult to know, but real thing is everything was found at factory level and untoched since the car left the factory ...
i am happy as now that I know that everything down there is perfect ..!

Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

What color? I posted earlier in this thread that my Silver car was very consistent and my Arena Red car had some higher readings. I just bought another 993 that is Arena Red with 38,000 miles and it too has higher readings! Claimed to be a 2 owner 100% original paint car (up to 9 mils again like the first). I don't really care one way or the other because I really like the car and the paint match looks perfect and consistent to me...
Old 03-02-2019, 05:04 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

As this thread seems to be timeless I will bring it back to the top. My newly-purchased 993 has readings between 4 and 7 m, and someone is trying to tell me it is definitely a respray. I think he's full of it. I can see ZERO evidence of a respray after very careful inspection. I'm more likely to question the quality of his paint meter than I am my own car. My car's also a Vesuvio car which I am told was one of the more challenging paint colors to spray. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SRL
As this thread seems to be timeless I will bring it back to the top. My newly-purchased 993 has readings between 4 and 7 m, and someone is trying to tell me it is definitely a respray. I think he's full of it. I can see ZERO evidence of a respray after very careful inspection. I'm more likely to question the quality of his paint meter than I am my own car. My car's also a Vesuvio car which I am told was one of the more challenging paint colors to spray. Thoughts?
Based upon what I've learned about 993s, I'd say you're likely fine. I also learned, though, that it's important to take many, many readings on each panel or area and not just one or two.

Quick Reply: Paint Thickness Measurements