Sponsored by:

C4 on a dynometer -- Total Disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 on a dynometer -- Total Disaster!

This is a follow-up to my post regarding the NY State Inspection where they put my 1995 c4 cabrio on the dynometer. It still seemed to run fine after the test, but members of this board told me that the viscous fluid may have burned up.

I took it to the shop and they were able to test drive it to ascertain whether the four-wheel-drive was working -- it wasn't.

The replacement of the coupling was started, and then the mechanic called me to say that the transaxle was sheared! Cut in half! Amazing. He is now replacing this (I inspected the damage myself -- ) as part of the fix. He will also check the entire drivetrain/tranny back to the engine for additional problems.

Obviously, these are costly repairs. The original guy who did the inspection is trying to say that NY State says the owner is responsible for any damage on a dyno -- I will have to sue him to get him to pay.

All of this sucks so bad because I had just gotten the car -- it is my first Porsche -- and now it is in the shop for two weeks -- just missed an Indian Summer weekend in New York!!!

Old 11-06-2003, 09:14 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Not a happy story but at least you will have a fresh AWD system in time for winter...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:19 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

uptheorg

Do they have 4WD dynos in NY? Here in CA, they have 2WD dynos so all AWD Porsches (since the system can not be turned off with a button) are exempt from that part of the test.

Sorry about your car. That is a shame...

Good luck
Bob
Old 11-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to save the damaged parts so you will have them when you go to court. And make sure your expert, the guy that did the repairs can say that it is obvious that the damage was very recent and that the only cause was it being put on the dyno incorrectly.

Hopefully you can go to some kind of small claims court where you will not need to hire a lawyer. The cause of the damage seems rather straightforward as will be the costs for repair.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:47 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

uptheorg-
I'm sorry to hear about the absolute disaster. I am going to NJ emissions testing this morning, where they would have also put my C4 on the dynometer. I would have had no idea not to tell them to forgo the test; and the guys at the facility probably wouldn't have had the foresight to ask if the car was awd.

It's amazing that with so many awd cars/trucks on the road today the dynometer is considered the "newest" and "best" method available to test emissions.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

In NJ you have the option of going to a private facility (for a fee) to have your inspection done. I opt to pay my Porsche mechanic (not dealer) to perform this service.

The $100 I pay is well worth having a knowledgable person doing the work.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:35 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Great advice Chuck. The funny thing is that I brought the car last week to be inspected and I didn't have the original insurance ID card, just a copy.
The guy at emissions refused to conduct the inspection and made me back out of the bay, forcing 10 cars behind me to back up as well.

That afternoon, I learned that they should have completed the inspection, and failed me until I showed up with the insurance card at the back door to pick up my passing sticker.

At the time the guy was a real jerk, but in hindsight, he may have saved me a lot of money in repairs.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:51 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

uptheorg,

Why did you have to have your car placed on a dyno in the first place? Are there emission testing requirements down state that are not in effect in other areas of NYS?

In Upstate NY the annual inspection has no emission testing component and certainly no dyno testing. It is simply a safety inspection - tires, brakes, lights,etc.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's like in VA, only certain counties have emissions inspection. The DC metro area has it, but more rural areas don't.

Chris.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:14 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to be a stickler, but I think we should be referring to those as "treadmills" instead of dynos. I don't think they do anything except spin.

By the way, THANK YOU for posting this topic. You just saved my butt since this issue wouldn't have occurred to me come testing time.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:23 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Side note: I just checked the IL state rules on this:

"This idle-only (or "static") inspection procedure is also used for heavy duty trucks and certain passenger vehicles and light duty trucks that can not be reasonably inspected on a dynamometer (e.g.: full-time all-wheel drive vehicles and traction control vehicles where the traction control feature cannot be disabled)."

I think that if I owned a C2, I'd just tell them it was a C4 so they wouldn't "dyno" test me. I doubt they'd know by inspection due to the undercarriage covers.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I think that if I owned a C2, I'd just tell them it was a C4 so they wouldn't "dyno" test me.
My, my, I would never do such a thing!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

Yes, the procedure is very different down state compared to upstate. We have to undergo this "dyno" type emissions test in addition to the safety portion. Also, our inspection windshield stickers are much larger than yours, sadly.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:18 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Todd,

Hi man, hope all is well with you and the Saab is still running strong. Didn't know about the different requirements in your area. Is this an annual requirement?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never let them put my car on the dyno... the people who work there have absolutely zero knowledge about cars, especially about Porsches. I always tell them the car can't be put on the dyno because it will fry the expensive traction control. I've never had one even question me about it.

I always get a kick out the inspectors, too. They always slide that mirror between the front and back wheels, looking under the car for the cat. I'm not sure what they think they're seeing under there, but it must be enough for them to verify that my cat is attached. I've never had the heart to tell them the cat is about 4 feet aft of where they're looking.

Quick Reply: C4 on a dynometer -- Total Disaster!