Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, there, it's settled.

Hey, I think that's 300!
Old 11-07-2003 | 03:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

L23FPorsche,

No arguments except with the "added maintenance" part. As far as I can tell, the only additional maintenance required of a 993TT over its NA brothers, is that the turbo units themselves will probably need a rebuild at around 75,000 miles... at a cost of about $750 for the pair (if you do them stock). This is not to say that if you drive the TT harder, you will probably see additional wear on brakes, clutch, and tires. But that's the driver's choice.

There doesn't need to be consensus on this... that's why there are different models for different folks. For me, there was little debate, once the TT prices starting dipping into NA territory!
Old 11-07-2003 | 04:08 PM
Glen
Race Car

FF I like it in 2wd mode in fact I am considering finishing the GT2 conversion...I still prrefer the AWD at 2800lbs though, that is still the most fun for me...I would keep the AWD as it was good for about 5 seconds a lap in the rain minimum...
Old 11-07-2003 | 04:19 PM
Glen
Race Car

Graham and TB993T both of those things are easily attainable. The stock exhaust flange that blends the three tube pulses just prior to the turbo is very messay as far as flow goes the way it comes from the factory. You cut off those flanges and replace them with a well done smoother Burrge type collecter flange(I think Holcomb actually makes one for this) and remap the DME (Todd Knighton ) and You have 470-480 without a Turbo change...And one of the k24 hiding inside a k16 housing kits that Matvichuk does and free up the post Turbo exhaust a bit and You are north of 500 and still appear stock. My car weighs 2800 with the AWD stuff in it and has the RS interior and the full GT2 cage so there is a bunch of weight to be lost easily...As You guys know my car will be sold this winter as we are gearing up for the Cupcar challenge series and just got word that the 996 Supercup will be classed in GT2 in SCCA...Woohoo...You guys find someone to buy my car this winter! Who wants a 993 Gt2 almost done or a 993 TT that wins in C?????? It remains street legal surely someone needs something like that...lol
Old 11-07-2003 | 09:40 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Glen
Graham and TB993T both of those things are easily attainable. The stock exhaust flange that blends the three tube pulses just prior to the turbo is very messay as far as flow goes the way it comes from the factory. You cut off those flanges and replace them with a well done smoother Burrge type collecter flange(I think Holcomb actually makes one for this) and remap the DME (Todd Knighton ) and You have 470-480 without a Turbo change...And one of the k24 hiding inside a k16 housing kits that Matvichuk does and free up the post Turbo exhaust a bit and You are north of 500 and still appear stock.
Glen
The reliable 522 DIN my car has was anything but easily attainable, it takes many specific components and was/is expensive.
My information is that the stock turbos on a 993tt cannot flow more than 460hp period - over 500 just from changing a turbo compressor and freeing up the exhaust - wow - do you have dyno sheets ?
Old 11-07-2003 | 11:23 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Originally posted by superyellowfly

PeterS,
Careful with the Mclaren, my humble Ruf will stay with a Yamaha R1 till 180... then i break away(ahead).... From my first hand experience... believe me, the Mc laren will not be embarrased by a bike that easily. It would certainly take one hell of a rider to extract all of the bikes potential to match a gentleman racer driven Mclaren.
Then the rider was clueless. Unfortunately, this is common with bikes as they are cheap to buy and take some skill to ride properly.

Several bikes will do under 10.0 sec in the quarter mile stock, and a few will get deep into the 8's with a few hundred dollars worth of mods (muffler, sticky tires and longer swingarm). Also do 0-60 under 2 sec.

Not bagging on your Ruf, it is my dream car and I'd rather have it than any bike. But implying it will hang with a modern sportbike in straightline acceleration is like saying the S03 is just as good on the track as the P-zero.
Old 11-08-2003 | 02:13 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Mike W,

Why do you say that a stock 993 can't run close to a 4.7 second 0-60 time? Granted, C&D usually records the quickest acceleration figures (I don't think I'd want to own one of their test cars). However, they tested one '95 Carrera that ran 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, and their long-term test '95 (a different car) ran it in 4.6. These are the quickest figures I've seen for a NA 993, however, other magazines have recorded 4.9 and 5.0. ALL of these were stock '95s.

BTW, C&D tested a 993TT that ran 0-60 in 3.7.
Old 11-08-2003 | 05:03 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

PeterS
As you pointed out, there simply aren't many riders out there that can wring out the hp of even the best bikes out there.

The point i am making is that the power in a car comes much more accessible than it does in a bike...
add cross winds and undulations and various debris on the road, pure numbers seldom tell the whole story about a cars/bikes real performance.

By your admission, i'm about a second off on the quartermile time of a fast bike... by the time you reach 180 the bike is long gone... it really isn't that unbelievable.

Sorry if you find it hard for me to hang with bikes at full tilt.
(There are other cars on the TT board that will tell you the same)

Like you said, i guess all the bikes that i've out pulled must be clueless riders

Last edited by ruffy; 11-08-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2003 | 12:27 PM
Glen
Race Car

TB , no , sorry no dyno sheets. My car is in stock configuartion at the motor so it is currently legal as a C class racecar in PCA club racing. The rules do read exhaust is free so there is some gain to be had post turbo but I dont believe I can legally change the exhaust prior to the Turbo. I am aware of your project and understand it is remarkably well done! As most people in racing know on this side of the pond, I tend to do things a bit differently. I enjoy these cars immensely and have experimented with a number of variations on the 993 theme already. If I am off a bit on the HP guess I would venture I am not far off. 460 is not far from 470 and the flange if You have one to look at is your biggest enemy on quick spoolup and maximizing flow of the stock Turbo's. Holcomb, Matvichuk and Knighton do of course have sheets but they also do additional things that are unique in each of their approaches. Having rebuilt a number of 993's there are a number of things I have learned about the cars, but hey, we just do it in the shop by my wife's barn for fun and knowledge! Anything I share is from actual experience or experience of a close trusted friend. Please feel free to contact me anytime personally for more detail. You have all of my phone numbers in your PM.
Old 11-08-2003 | 02:12 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Hi adc4s,

Hehehe that's a good story.. thanks for sharing

Dan, add me to the minority list too somehow I don't have any desire to own a TT, even after driving a couple of them in the past. I was very very impressed with the TT, but maybe I'm just weird because I don't really yearn for one.

My biggest mistake was driving mooty's GT3... BIG mistake!!
in summary, that car is awesome... and I don't mind giving up my 993 for that car.. (follow Viken's path ).

Glen, I'd love to see your 993 GT2 You have some amazing projects there.

Last edited by Suwipin; 11-08-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2003 | 02:42 PM
CP
Race Director

Talking

Originally posted by Suwipin

Dan, add me to the minority list too somehow I don't have any desire to own a TT, even after driving a couple of them in the past. I was very very impressed with the TT, but maybe I'm just weird because I don't really yearn for one.
Pin,

Give me six more weeks, and may be you'll sing a different tune then.

I have a hunch the tts you drove did not have the proper suspension set up like yours do.

CP

Quick Reply: Made a serious mistake...