Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a serious mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 01:23 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, Cobra is scary as hell. It's nto mine, and I get to drive ti only at VIR and CMS (I know, tough life!).

If I owned a tt, though, on a daily basis I would be tempted to go faster than I already do. I know it. And I can't say I would be perfect about resisting the temptation!

So, you are right, the SPF is sick and dangerous. But I don't own it and never would buy one. I get to try it on occasion in relative (and I mean relative) safety. Too much car for me on the street. Even on the track, I don't push it. Fun for autocross though. That's no issue.

Rnadom and further sick comment - my friend's going to the newest stroked engine - small block (351) stroked out to 427 or something. 600 HP. More than 500 torque. Sick, sick, sick.
Old 11-06-2003 | 03:03 PM
User 4621
Race Director

I've spent some time thinking the same thing, especially with where the TT prices are now. The thing that keeps me from doing it, aside not wanting to spend the money right now, is having a sportbike. The sheer acceleration is so far beyond even the TT (or McLaren F1 for that matter), that I can get it out of my system and then enjoy my car even more.

So adsc4s, get a sportbike, it's cheaper than the upgrade and more fun!
Old 11-06-2003 | 03:16 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

If there were such a thing as a production 993 TT Cabriolet, it would be my next car. Guess I'll just have to supercharge "The Great White", as my wife calls her, instead.
Old 11-06-2003 | 03:26 PM
KeithR3
Pro

3. A NA car is fast as s#$%, and more than I can realistically handle.

That would be my thinking! I live in Illinois and there aren't enough roads here to enjoy a beast like a TT. Heck my C4S looks fast and I can't even handle that...

Good luck in your decision. The TT is very very fast but not faster than a Motorola....
Old 11-06-2003 | 03:26 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Am I alone in dreaming of getting a TT and giving it:
i) the 'RS' treatment i.e. 100-150kg (220-330 lbs) off
ii) reduction of turbo lag and power increase to 500hp
iii) PSS9 suspension?

Now that's a car I'd sell my mother for
Old 11-07-2003 | 08:13 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Well, if anyone is interested in my two pence worth (sorry, calling from UK), I got my TT 6 weeks ago. A few years ago I had a nice 964, which then sold and concentrated on the business of making lights and money. Then, about 8 weeks ago I started looking at TT's. I set myself unobtainable goals with regards to condition (had to be virtually perfect), colour (Arena Red), interior (must have grey leather sports seats) and prefferably lowish miles with FSH and if at all possible, No sunroof!

Well, guess what? First car I found that fitted the description I bought. I didn't even want it, you know, live only a mile away from work, have 2 cars in the house hold already, but It was like a kid in a sweet shop, sex maniac in a ***** house, tit in trance - Love at first sight!
I didn't even drive it until the day i picked it up a week or so later (what a week!)
All I can say is it's amazing! no matter what gear you're in, step on the loud button and you're off. Everytime I went to change up a gear i'd find that i'm already one higher than I thought i was! It's impossible to describe the way it goes from 50-70 and 70-100, you're just there!
Anyway, despite lots of niggly problems (more with the dealer than the car), i'm absolutely over the moon!
Old 11-07-2003 | 08:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
iii) PSS9 suspension?

Graham
How does one reduce the turbo lag AND increase to 500hp
Are you thinking of ditching the turbos and using a mechanical supercharger ?
Old 11-07-2003 | 09:30 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

TB993tt, I'm just dreaming out loud
A supercharger would be one guaranteed option but from the little I have read there seems to be a few options to improve the turbo lag such as:
i) boost controller such as Hallman Pro,
ii) more efficient exhaust system
iii) modified turbos
Old 11-07-2003 | 11:02 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having owned a N/A 993 for four years I agree with all that is one great car. Despite the 95 993 mag test, stock 993 don't run anywhere near 4.7 0-60. I now have owned my TT for 2 months and find it to be the most fun I can have with my clothes on. I find it to be fun around town as well as on the highway. Step on the gas and you are gone. I put off driving one because I knew once I did I would be hooked. All that said, I kinda wish I had my N/A as my second car. We are all lucky no matter what 993 we drive. That's the true bottom line. Mike W
Old 11-07-2003 | 11:09 AM
Rennlist Member

Addison,

Hey, good luck with your decision. Thanks for the warning - I'm not going to test drive one anytime soon! If my back is feeling better I may try to join you guys on Sunday (threw it out on Tuesday and it's still quite painful this morning on Friday).

Rich
Old 11-07-2003 | 12:19 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Addison, how embarrassed would you be in your TT and still struggling to keep up with me? Avoid the humiliation man, don't do it!
Old 11-07-2003 | 12:54 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
iii) PSS9 suspension?

Graham,

Your dream machine exists today: RUF BTR.

It's less than 3,000 lbs. Virtually NO turbo lag (my buddy who raced Porsches, attested to it). It's 420 hp but can be chipped/boosted to 500+ hp without engine problems. It comes with RUF suspensions which is better than the standard Bilstein PSS9 kit. Host of other goodies.

So start your seacrch now.

CP
Old 11-07-2003 | 01:06 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

One more for the minority (or is this now a majority?). IMHO, part of the fun driving on the track is by playing at the limit. How close can one get to 10/10 without losing it. I once went from a lower hp car to one almost twice the power but ended up not having as much fun on the track because the newer car was trickier at the limit, heavier, and gave less of a sensory experience. Playing at the limit with a car that will spin out at 30mph feel a little more comfortable than one that would lose it at 50mph. It was after this experience that I began to realize why Miata owners had so much fun even though by the numbers, the car isn't that impressive. Probably also the reason why many magazines have ranked the 2.7RS as the best 911 ever, even 30 years down the line with other amazing cars like the 964RS, 993TT, 996GT3, etc.

Lastly, I'll add the caveat that if a 993TT landed on my lap, I'll be happy to take it but at this point find it hard to fork out the extra dough for one.
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:05 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Rezal,
agreed with your sentiments.
however...
IMHO, The perma grin gets larger when you do learn to finally do get it right in a TT.
well driven, the performance is nothing short of supercar (on a budget of course)... but honestly, where else you gonna to find a car that will run with the fastest and not break the bank?

PeterS,
Careful with the Mclaren, my humble Ruf will stay with a Yamaha R1 till 180... then i break away(ahead).... From my first hand experience... believe me, the Mc laren will not be embarrased by a bike that easily. It would certainly take one hell of a rider to extract all of the bikes potential to match a gentleman racer driven Mclaren.
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:06 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

I would fall into the minority as well. I previosly had an 87 turbo that was built to the hilt. For example, x-large powerhaus intercooler, K-29 turbo, Andial fuel enrichmant, twin plug, B&B exhaust, Boost spring 1.2 bar, etc. Conservative figures of around 375 HP. Like being fired from a gun. The issue is it's only fun a few times. You feel the speed and test the power and then all the rest is putting around town and going to the store. Really only fun again when you invite someone into the car who has never expirienced the rush. Thats why I decided that I probably would never own another turbo. Consider also the added maitenance expenses.
I love my MY95 Carrera. Don't get me wrong the turbo power is addictive BUT, it never lasts. End of story! Buy a Turbo and be thrilled for a week. Buy a NA 993 and be content for a lifetime.

Quick Reply: Made a serious mistake...