Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires in Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Question Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires in Autocross?

There have been some very favorable threads on these tires lately, as well as the current Pano article, and the Pano autocross tire test article from last year.

They sound like great tires.

But some of the posts talk about the tires taking a little longer to heat up and grip.

Question: If you're using them for autocross, have you had a problem with this?

Last year's Pano gave them high marks in the test, but their runs were consecutive, so obviously the heat would build up.

Our region's autocrosses are run such that you sit 10-15 minutes between each run. I'm wondering if the tires will get good and grippy, or be to cool to really stick?

(By the way it's a '97 narrowbody on 17" cup wheels which hopefully will have ROW M030 by next spring.
I'm thinking 225/255.)

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Chi
Old 10-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll tell you after next weekend.
I have an autox (well, it's actually speedtrial) but I can try and see what the first laps feelings are.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Finn

I'd really like to know your reactions to them.

M in C
Old 10-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Mike,
Try this link

<a href="http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsport_technical.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsport_technical.pdf</a>

They basically recommended starting with a slightly higher pressure for auto-x and suggest that heatcycled tires may come up to temp slightly quicker.

I haven't had experience with these tires but I can tell you that Hoosiers are pretty good even before they are up to their optimal operating temp. Right Anir? A side note: I have seen a lot of guys go really easy on their first lap or two and then hammer it on their third. IMO you need to move along at a decent clip to get the tires up to temps, just cruising won't do that. For the warm up lap I just brake a little early and a touch more but do try to have good cornering speed to generate some heat in the tires, and instead of being at full throttle at the apex I may be at 1/2 or 3/4 or in a higher gear than normal.
True slicks are a different story, they are evil until they are warm.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:48 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Greg

thanks for the link, it was very helpful. Like you said, they are recommending running at a higher pressure to make up for the lack of heat build-up.

the tires sound like a wonderful combo.

Since this car probably won't be my DEcar, just Autocross, I didn't want a tire that I couldn't get full benefit out of running cones, even though it has many other benefits on the track and on the street.

M in C

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires in Autocross?