Cooked clutch ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 06:25 AM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cooked clutch ???

Nice sunny day yesterday - time to give the 993 C2 a good thrash!

After several full power take off's I generated a serious burning smell from the clutch.After driving the car steadily to let it all cool down it appears fine. Is this clutch on it's last legs?

Car has done 36K miles,and is I believe on the original clutch.

Comments appreciated.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Full power takeoffs??? What do you mean by that? If you're revving it up to 5-6K then dropping the clutch no wonder you could smell it. The clutch in these cars is not made to take that sort of abuse.

If the clutch works fine now, then you don't need a new one yet. You did, obviously, reduce the life of it. I'd avoid the "full-power" takeoffs unless you're looking for an excuse to replace the clutch. Replacing the clutch gives you an opportunity to replace the flywheel with a lightweight one, which is my plan once my clutch goes.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff

Thanks for the reply - the reference to full power take off's simply meant that over about a 10 minute period I had the opportunity from a standstill to feed in the clutch with around 2000/2500rpm on the tach and accelerate using all the revs to approaching 100mph.The smell occurred on (I think)the fourth go.I would expect an engine of this quality to withstand that with no problem at all,which is why I feel the clutch may well be on it's way out.But it does seem fine now,no signs of slipping in high gear roll on's.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim,

Hmmm, once the clutch is engaged the car really doesn't care if you keep your foot in the gas. I have actually took my car to the drag strip. I typically rev up to 3K then on start up engage the clutch aggressively but without wheel spin. I had no clutch smell the entire time.

If you're getting no slippage then you're in great shape. Have fun.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
Hey Tim,

I've haven't yet worn a clutch on a Pcar but I have felt bad clutches in other cars.
A worn clutch this is what I have typically experienced.

You engage/disengage clutch. You are in gear. You hit the gas pedal and the rpm's rise but the car does not really move. Or it moves just a little then when it gets to a certain RPM is just outright slips.
so, if you are simply smelling the cluth from spirited driving I would just back it down a notch.
Are you also sure it's not your brake pads or tires you might be smelling?
--But if when you engage the gear the car accelerates normally, I think your clutch is ok.

Quick Reply: Cooked clutch ???