993 Forum 1995-1998

Race seats and harness bar install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Toddster
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Race seats and harness bar install

I am considering adding recaro race seats and a harness bar to my car, is this that complicated to install or should I tackle it myself, I do recognize that it's safety equipment and I don't want to make a bone head mistake that compromises the install and my safety
Old 12-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Todd, you can easily do this yourself.

that said, I'd probably recommend a 4 point DAS or similar rollbar instead of the harness bar.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Todd,

I just installed the DAS roll bar on my 993 - great product and a fairly easy install. DAS is perfect for a Schroth 6 point harness. I plan on posting a thread on the DAS install soon, and would be happy to help you with your install.

Racing seats are also a fairly easy install, but there can be some subtleties to the harnesses and brackets. Talk to the guys at Stable Energies and you may just let them do the install as well.

Jim
Old 12-29-2016, 12:50 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Todd - DAS roll bar is the way to go in the US. I installed it alone but a helping hand would have made it easier to align the bar with some key mounting holes. The bar is heavy ...

Another vote for the Schroth Profi II 6 Pt harness. I have a red set in great condition that expired in 2015 for a great price. Most of the DE organizations do not care about expiration date. PM me if interested.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

DAS for proper safety. With seat replacement, install is straightforward.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

In order from best/safest to least beast/safest
welded in cage - also most intrusive and least street friendly
welded in half cage - also lighter than most other options and less intrusive than most other options
bolt in cage like DAS - these tend to be pretty heavy and take up more room than a welded half cage, weak est aspect is the 2 small bolts holding the 2 rear legs in place to the old rear seat bolt holes
harness bar - flimsiest and yet still pretty intrusive

Schroth 6pts are great for the track, I like the Hans Hybrid version but these are a PIA on the street most will want to retain the stock 3pts, there is room to run both w/ most seats.

lastly the geometry of the belts wrt to you and the car attachment points can be a problem, especially so w/ tall drivers and small shoulder holes. You need a clear unimpeded fetch for the straps from the shoulder to the bar. This is usually not a problem w/ the lap or sub straps.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile

All 1/2 cages make the rear seats pretty useless. With the DASsport you can chuck a limited # of things back there.

..."bolt in cage like DAS - these tend to be pretty heavy and take up more room than a welded half cage, weakest aspect is the 2 small bolts holding the 2 rear legs in place to the old rear seat bolt holes." Can't disagree here...I have always questioned the strength of that mounting technique, but in contract, the DASsport mounting bolts to the "B" pillar are pretty substantial.

The upside, the installation does not affect the interior of the car, truly bolt in. The construction of the bar is 1st class too.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
All 1/2 cages make the rear seats pretty useless. With the DASsport you can chuck a limited # of things back there.

..."bolt in cage like DAS - these tend to be pretty heavy and take up more room than a welded half cage, weakest aspect is the 2 small bolts holding the 2 rear legs in place to the old rear seat bolt holes." Can't disagree here...I have always questioned the strength of that mounting technique, but in contract, the DASsport mounting bolts to the "B" pillar are pretty substantial.

The upside, the installation does not affect the interior of the car, truly bolt in. The construction of the bar is 1st class too.
It's surprising how much more space is taken up by a DAS compared to a custom weld in
Weld in

DAS

entry egress ease is restricted by the seats of course
Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Bumping this thread as I'm looking for the right set up to install a set of Cobra Suzuka Pro GT Width kevlar seats. Any input from this Forum would be greatly appreciated. I'm purchasing the seats from HMS Motorsports (install by Kachel Motor Sports), and here are HMS's recommendations below. The Audi TT sliders are a substitute for the identical Porsche sliders which are far more expensive. Thanks in advance!

2 c SUP-KC-X-BK Cobra Suzuka Pro GT Width Kevlar - FIA 8855-1999 - Pro-Fit - Black Spacer Fabric
all over
2 bk r9043 Brey Krause 996 Sliders and Seat adapters to 993/964
1 bk r9075 Brey Krause Side Plate for recaro pole position seat fits 996/ 997/ Boxster/ Cayman
Sliders-Drivers Side
1 bk r9076 Brey Krause Side mount for Recaro pole position/passenger side/Fits
996/997/Boxster/Cayman sliders
1 Audi TT Slider P/N 8N0 881 183 (Drivers)
1 Audi TT Slider P/N 8N0 881 184 (Passenger)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:37 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the cobra Suzuka gt seats in my 930...

Several observations...

1) love the seats, very comfy
2) I mounted straight to the seat mounts, and I barely fit. Helmet is 1 inch from the roof. With sliders, it would be worse. The seat won't fit low. I am 6 ft tall. The non gt seat, can fit between the railings. The gt, won't.
3) you can't recline the seat, at all. If you do, the leg support prevents the door handle from opening. I was able to recline 1 notch hole, tops. See my other post on that.
4) the leg support interfered with the shifter. It comes really close to hitting.
5) can't use the stock seat padding. Too thick. Legs almost hit the steering wheel.

I also have a cobra imola 2, has none of these issues. It's the high leg supports which cause some issues.

If you floor mount, these wouldn't be issues...

Here's the pics...

If the 993 is like the 930 inside, a seat with a lower thigh support would work better...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-the-heck.html
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699
I just put the cobra Suzuka gt seats in my 930...

Several observations...

1) love the seats, very comfy
2) I mounted straight to the seat mounts, and I barely fit. Helmet is 1 inch from the roof. With sliders, it would be worse. The seat won't fit low. I am 6 ft tall. The non gt seat, can fit between the railings. The gt, won't.
3) you can't recline the seat, at all. If you do, the leg support prevents the door handle from opening. I was able to recline 1 notch hole, tops. See my other post on that.
4) the leg support interfered with the shifter. It comes really close to hitting.
5) can't use the stock seat padding. Too thick. Legs almost hit the steering wheel.

I also have a cobra imola 2, has none of these issues. It's the high leg supports which cause some issues.

If you floor mount, these wouldn't be issues...

Here's the pics...

If the 993 is like the 930 inside, a seat with a lower thigh support would work better...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-the-heck.html
Thanks for the input bpu699. Wow, what a nightmare. This is precisely what I'd like to avoid. The Imola just doesn't fit and grab you like the Suzukas. At 6' 4" 205 lbs. I need to make sure there's enough headroom, but I don't want to give up the sliders if possible.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:44 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, at 6 foot 4, if you somehow get it to work let me know...

If I had it to do over, would get the non gt seat and find a way to mount below the seat mount.

The imola seat in the passenger side is fully reclined, and I have 2 inches of head space. But the padding on that seat is way thinner than the Suzuka.

To make the Suzuka work, I have to ride with no padding. Otherwise, my head is touching the roof. And, I am only 6 feet tall. But, I do have a sunroof... Which doesn't help.

If you recline all the way, doors won't open and you can't get your legs past the steering wheel. You would need a removable steering wheel...

Does cobra have a seat with lower side bolsters that you like?

Just trying to save you some grief. I spent 3 weekends getting this optimized. And there is no way sliders would fit, unless I was ok with my head touching the roof... I wanted at least an inch of clearance...

People posted that the fia seats should allow you to sit lower than stock. I just don't find that to be true. When you sit in a stock seat, you sink down 2-3 inches, as the seat is sprung. With an fia seat, you do not sink down.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

As an aside - I've owned a Suzuka for a short time and really liked it. It wasn't installed in a P-car and wasn't a GT (I would drown in a GT), but it was a comfortable seat with excellent thigh support. I think it's a good choice, Jim.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Great feedback, thanks bpu699. I tried the Suzuka non GT seat - I just barely fit, and detected a few pinchpoints in the hips. I can't see driving to the track in those seats. There don't appear to be any other viable options with Cobra. I fit very well in the OMP WRC seats. I didn't like them as much as the Suzukas, but if they're capable of fitting between the railings and offer a little more clearance maybe I need to go that route. If there's anyone local with the Suzukas or the OMP''s in their 993, I'd welcome the chance to sit in a car equipped with these seats for a trial fit. Thanks again for the feedback.

Jim
Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Jim. I have OMP WRC seats and really like them, unfortunately not mounted in a 993. Be careful with the Cobra seats. I went through 2 seats with HMS that the mounting bolt holes on either side were not aligned with the other side, meaning when mounted the seat was tilted towards the center of car. They brought in more versions, that had same issue. Cobra was less than helpful as I recall. I decided to go with the OMP which they just started to carry and there were no issues. Joe is a great guy to deal with as is his company.

Quick Reply: Race seats and harness bar install