Sponsored by:

Just drove a RUF BTR!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:48 AM
S3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just drove a RUF BTR!

Drove a RUF BTR today. RUF spec at 420 hp. Progressive pull from about 2000 RPM. At 3000 RPM things really starts to heat up and at 5000 RPM the kick is truly incredible. Truly incredible. Pulls all the way to the red line. Got to have one!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Seege, at the moment 20 of the 25 posts displayed on my screen were last modified by you. What are you trying to do... put us all out of jobs???
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Poon
Instructor

looks like he's trying to get to 40 quickly so that he can put his own avatar on! All his posts have a number on.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Poon

That was my take as well.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

how annoying
Old 11-06-2003, 07:06 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

S3,

Glad you had fun. Was that a BTR-2, or BTR-4?

Mine will be here in time for Christmas.

CP
Old 11-06-2003, 07:16 PM
S3
Instructor

Cp,

It was a BTR-2 convertible. Great drive! I'm looking into converting my C4S into a BTR-4. Think this is the most cost effective way to get a few more hp and a lot more fun. The NA route is very expensive and gives very little.

S3
Old 11-06-2003, 11:41 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by the NA route, what would it cost you to do this in Norway vs NA?
I have a 97 C4 cab that would be a good candidate.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:45 PM
JasonW
Instructor

Is the BTR-4 the 500 HP version?

One of the members here let me borrow his car for a show in Sept. and I got to drive.

Most amazing car I have ever driven.

And it won 3rd place in Exotic/Luxury.

Jason-
Old 11-07-2003, 12:10 AM
CP
Race Director

Jason,

THe BTR starts with a regular Carrera, adds a single turbo, and ends up at 420+ HP. The BTR-2 is 2 wheel drive (C2 conversion) , and BTR-4 is the AWD (C4 conversion) version.

The R-turbo starts with a tt, and ends up with about 540 hp. It's always AWD.

The beauty of the RUF BTR package is that they modify much more than just the engine. With the package, you get new transmission, suspensions, wheels, steering rack, brakes, oil coolers, intercooler, and exhaust. In the engine, you get a single big turbo, titanium innerds, new Motronics ECU, and wiring harness.

The car is just tuned for complete performance in all departments. I can't think of any more mods you could possibly want in a RUF BTR.

The BTR conversion kit is available in America, but the installation and tuning is just as important as the hardware. Ideally, you want your conversion done in RUF's facility is Pfeffenhausen. Their craft people and engineer do impeccable work there. However, if your car is in the states, it's kind of difficult/costly to ship it to Germany, have the RUF work done, and ship it back. Your next choice is have RUF fly their engineers here for the install. While that's still good, it's a step down from a German conversion. The next step down (cost-wise) is to buy the kit, and have competent local mechanics do the install.

I believe the kit alone is in the $35k range. So to do it right, you're talking $45k or so at a minimum. But then, you get a new car, mechanically speaking, that runs with any exotic supercar in the world.

CP
Old 11-07-2003, 07:57 PM
S3
Instructor

As I understand it the BTR is a single turbo conversion (K27) with boost pressure at 0,8 bar. This gives 420 hp. The R-turbo onversion gives 490 hp -according to the RUF web site. Think the R-turbo runs 1,1 bar boost pressure. Apparently it is possible to install a special RUF 100 cell catalytic converter and increase the boost pressure to 0,9 bar on the BTR giving 450 hp +.

The BTR was truly a great ride. Smooth power delivery, but pretty brutal all the same.

The NA option includes the FVD 3,8 l kit. This conversion gves 340 hp and 390 Nm. When I tried a C4S with the FVD 3,8 l conversion it was hard to feel any difference when compared to my own car. The NA conversion is much more expensive than the RUF option when considering the $ to hp ratio.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:54 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

CP you are saying your BTR will be there for Christmas? Where is it coming from that you are waiting for it? I had the pleasure of driving a BTR and was very close to buying it as well but unfortunately was unable to come through with the deal since i was moving stations and only discovered the car a week prior. It truly is an amazing machine. The particular one I was in was a 1995 Carrera converted over to full RUF specs. The power of the turbo is so smooth when under acceleration compared to a TT. And in no time we were doing 160 mph..given this was still in Germany and on the autobahn. I regret to this day that i didn't find the car a month earlier.

harrY
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2003, 02:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Harry,

It's the same car, from Bitburg, Germany. You probably saw the car in Spring 2003. I started working on the car since July. It is now on a ship crossing the Atlantic.

I never saw/driven the car in person. My buddy in Heidleberg checked it all out for me. I'm glad you liked the car. Could you please post more of your driving impression?

CP
Old 11-08-2003, 04:49 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

wif the rain gutters?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:56 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

CP-

I learn how much of a small world it really is everyday! I kind of thought you could of been the possible new owner of such an awesome car. I actually first saw the car for sale in the last week of June, which really bothered me because i spoke with Chuck a couple months prior on station about his car and wish he would of indicated a possible selling of his car. But who would think a 22 yr old would consider such a car? As for the ride of the car im sure it's nothing you havent heard arleady from your friend. The car is SOLID as in when you sit down into the RUF buffalo leather seats and shut the door you get a sense of being sealed inside. The door shuts without a rattle and once rolling its the same not a single shimmer to the body or interior. The engine runs quiet and smooth at idle with a wonderful exhaust note. When at regular speeds the car handles tight to the curves with a stiff yet plush ride as the suspension offers no body roll but soaks up the neccessaties. The fun really starts on open road when you start the uphill climb of speed. The single turbo makes a wonderful lil musical note once its starts spooling up and its not a thrashing of boost like a TT but a very progressive increase in power the more you apply the gas. If i remember the dyno sheet stated this car was tested at 426 hp with around a top speed of 191 mph? I think those were the numbers on that car. What makes the car worth what it is, is because I spoke to Alois Ruf himself in regards to the history of the car when I was considering the purchase. He only stated good things about the car and that the previous owner maintained it at RUF only for major checks and annual inspections. Oil was replaced at Porsche Zentrum Trier i do believe. I'm not sure if i answered anything you may have been wondering but ask me more specifics and maybe i can help you better. As for price it was too good to be true a RUF BTR engine conversion alone is 30,000 euro thats excluding about 5000 euro worth of needed parts to accomadate the conversion. Notice this also has a lot of extras as well RS aero parts, RS clutch, cargraphic carbon mirrors...etc.

my front picture is a bit too big to post apparently.

harrY

Quick Reply: Just drove a RUF BTR!