Sponsored by:

Just drove a RUF BTR!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 04:57 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP-

If you don't mind answering how much was it to ship it from Germany and what was the settled price for the car?

harrY
Old 11-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LAT
What do you mean by the NA route, what would it cost you to do this in Norway vs NA?
I have a 97 C4 cab that would be a good candidate.
LAT, I believe S3 meant "NA" as in "normally aspirated" (as opposed to forced induction = turbos/superchargers).

-Chris
Old 11-08-2003, 01:45 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

HarrY,

Indeed it's a small world.

I actually don't know the shipping cost yet as the ship just sailed last Wednesday (11-5-03). RUF quoted Chuck $4k to ship. I retained an import agent based in the U.S. to expedite the shipping/custom process. The shipping line charges shipping, insurance, custom, and import duty as one bill. I pay the import agent separately for his services. I won't know the final bill until the car actually hits shore. The shipping cost also varies with the weather. Over calm seas, they sail in a straight line. Storms galore, they navigate around and charges more. I have spent months getting educated on the process. If someone wants to go down the same path I did, I'd be glad to share my contacts, and the path of least resistance.

As to the price, you know what Chuck asked. I did not haggle on the price at all. This car is his pride and joy, and I count myself lucky to be able to enjoy it. I want an amicable transaction, so I agreed to his price on the spot. He is a true gentleman, and have RUF do the PPI, and 30,000 miles service before the car leaves Germany. I appreciated that very much.

Just curious, why would your 'change of station' preclude you from buying the car? I realize that if you had jumped, I'd never land the car, but I was unclear as to the linkage there. Also, I think Chuck put the car on the German PCA for-sale list earlier in the year. You must have spoken with him on base right before he made the decision to sell.

I guess in life, timing is indeed everything. His car was not on ANY Porsche for-sale sites that I visited, and believe me. I checked them all. It was a pure stroke of luck I find it. I took down his e-mail address, and could not find that site ever again (site turned up blank later). I e-mailed him in July, he e-mailed back, and the courtship was on. It's a long road to hoe.

My buddy in Heidleberg owned and raced Porsches. He test drove the car with Chuck, and was utterly astonded by the car's abilities. That basically is my thumbs up to seal the deal.

Can't wait for the ship to show here in CA. I'll post pics after I actually have the car.

CP
Old 11-08-2003, 08:58 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP-

Well the changing of stations didn't allow enough time for paperwork to go through from the states to Germany and back as I would of dealt with my home of record bank. Banks on base wouldn't have anything to do with a 1995 model year car. Another big factor was that I'm now in Korea for my time here and would of had a difficult time putting the car some place SAFE, while I was away. Yes timing is everything and it was against me for sure. Chuck stated he was just trying to sell the car to see if it would go, he wasn't relying on it's sale for anything really. So yes PCA-Germany was the only site it was listed on. The only reason I knew about it was thanks to Rennlist because some Army Capt. who drives a Z06 was considering it for pretty much his thrashing toy to track (the Ring).

Yes indeed post pictures as soon as you can..I can't wait to see it in it's new surroundings.

harrY
Old 11-08-2003, 09:18 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

HarrY,

Thanks for the education on station change.

"some Army Capt. who drives a Z06 was considering it for pretty much his thrashing toy to track (the Ring)." Now that would be the ultimate weapon on a track. A Z-06 and a RUF BTR, this captain knows his cars.

I envy you guys with autobahns (not your case currently as you are in Korea), as we in the Bay Area probably average 35 mph on the freeway- blasted traffic. Both Chuck and Ken (my buddy) lamented that I'd never see the true abilities of the car as we don't have the German roads, level of traffic, and speed laws.

My regular car is a 2000 M5 so I'm painfully aware that we are wasting cars with these capabilities here in the states. Well, there's always Nevada.

CP

Quick Reply: Just drove a RUF BTR!