993 Forum 1995-1998

Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth

RL'ers i know others are in a similar circumstance so i'm sharing my perspective. i've just settled my dv claim, and deposited the checks. so anyone who says dv claims are fiction is full of bovine excrement. my parked car was struck in the rear by someone yapping on their cell phone. the car was repaired superbly, and i contacted the insurance co. and asked what the procedure was to file a dv claim. the agent said i needed to submit an expert dv evaluation. i searched until i found a company i liked, and man, did i SCORE, with Petty Details LLC. justin is the man.

www.diminishedvalueexpert.com

i called justin late in the evening, leaving a voice mail and he returned my call, @ 9pm the same night. well after normal business hours. we spoke at length, and it only confirmed my belief i was with the right person. long story short, using his services, my dv claim ended up being more than the repair on my car. he provided me with a superb and comprehensive report and a sample cover letter to submit. if anyone has the need for a dv expert, you would be doing yourself a disservice not to at least speak with him. he's honest, straight forward, and an excellent value. once you speak with him, you know he knows what he's talking about. my dv claim settlement was in excess of 500% relative to the cost of his services. i could not be happier.

Last edited by FLYT993; 12-15-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bookmarked thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Good info. Saved the link. Hope I never have to use it.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

That is the key to most everything, finding the right person.

Diminished value is something the insurance companies do not want like to get involved with.

Diminished value is always so subjective and they will try anything, even low-balling to make you go away.

After filing a diminished value claim it might not be a bad idea to change insurance companies a few years later.

Ok, I've typed diminished value enough. The idea was to help anyone who searches.

Regards,

Old 12-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Great story. The one time I tried to make a diminished value claim with the old 993 when a careless girl backed into my front bumper, the adjuster said that diminished value does not apply in Maryland or something to that effect. Assuming that was true, how could Marylanders make a DV claim work?

Also, can you change your thread title from "DV Claim: Not a Myth" to "Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth"? it will make searching the archives far more efficient. I can change it if you can't. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

certainly doesn't work everywhere.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:28 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
That is the key to most everything, finding the right person.

Diminished value is something the insurance companies do not want like to get involved with.

Diminished value is always so subjective and they will try anything, even low-balling to make you go away.

After filing a diminished value claim it might not be a bad idea to change insurance companies a few years later.

Ok, I've typed diminished value enough. The idea was to help anyone who searches.

Regards,

thanks cemoto, i was lazy with my abbreviations. but to your point about the insurance co. initially low balling. they tried that. in my original post i said i cashed "checks" as in plural. i sent justin the specifics on how they calculated my dv and he responded with specifics of where and why they were wrong. he didn't charge me any additional fees for his additional input and help. i challenged their initial offer, using his additional analysis and they sent a check for an additional $1k. justin is a stand up guy and it's why i'm sharing his info with this community. he's a metaphorical gun...hope you never need to use it, but if you do, you're glad you have it.

Last edited by FLYT993; 12-15-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Great story. The one time I tried to make a diminished value claim with the old 993 when a careless girl backed into my front bumper, the adjuster said that diminished value does not apply in Maryland or something to that effect. Assuming that was true, how could Marylanders make a DV claim work?

Also, can you change your thread title from "DV Claim: Not a Myth" to "Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth"? it will make searching the archives far more efficient. I can change it if you can't. Thanks!
mark, i changed the title of the thread.

the rules are different in different states, but again i would defer to justin since this is his area of expertise. in CA i had 3 years to file a claim. and as a matter of protocol i'm always suspicious of what insurance co. employees tell the public, especially when it means money coming off their bottom line.

Last edited by FLYT993; 12-15-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
true. but that wasn't the point. it was shared to help those where it is applicable.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLYT993
mark, i changed the title of the thread.

the rules are different in different states, but again i would defer to justin since this is his area of expertise. in CA i had 3 years to file a claim. and as a matter of protocol i'm always suspicious of what insurance co. tell the public, especially when it means money coming off their bottom line.
Much appreciated, thanks! Also, your comment about insurance companies make some sense, although, when I did research many years ago, I thought what the adjuster said was corroborated by others' experiences.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Much appreciated, thanks! Also, your comment about insurance companies make some sense, although, when I did research many years ago, I thought what the adjuster said was corroborated by others' experiences.
mark, agreed. your due diligence makes the difference. my comment is based in having a friend whose wife is a regional director for a MAJOR carrier. he was shaking his head as he explained how his wife had to go through institutionized training on how to initially low ball claims, and not disclose (not lie, because that's illegal, and unethical)...all the options available to the consumer. had i not inquired about the DV process they certainly weren't going to offer. so, like you, i listen to what they say and then verify and validate with multiple knowledgeable sources so i have peace of mind. all the best.

--dan
Old 12-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Solid info, Dan.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:32 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
True. It varies by state and also whether it is a first or third party claim. In many cases, DV is an easier issue to approach for third party claims (as with the OP's case), however, in states where permitted, DV is actually excluded in the contract for first party claims. This is why we all need agreed value policies with the right terms and conditions to protect our beloved Porsche's

OP, this is a great thread - thanks for sharing this info!!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:28 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myflat6
True. It varies by state and also whether it is a first or third party claim. In many cases, DV is an easier issue to approach for third party claims (as with the OP's case), however, in states where permitted, DV is actually excluded in the contract for first party claims. This is why we all need agreed value policies with the right terms and conditions to protect our beloved Porsche's

OP, this is a great thread - thanks for sharing this info!!
bill, thanks, and i'm just paying it forward. 3 years ago i had never even heard of diminished value. guess where i first learned about it in the hopes that i would never have to deal with it? ... right here on this board.

c.walrod..."is this a great place or what?"

all the best.

Last edited by FLYT993; 12-15-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
thanks cemoto, i was lazy with my abbreviations. but to your point about the insurance co. initially low balling. they tried that.
Oh, I know that, just wanted to point it out to others who may not realize how it works.

The same applies to most any insurance claim you make. For instance the first thing you want to do in most large dollar claims is to hire and independent appraiser (Which is really what Justin is).

Have you ever noticed the that when you enter a large city usually an insurance company owns one of the tallest buildings?

Thanks for the thread OP and I'm glad you got what you deserved. Although I'm sure you would much rather have a no incident car.

From a business standpoint, once your car is repaired it is probably the best time to sell it as it will never look better.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Diminished Value Claim: Not a Myth