Chips for '95 with LWF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Chips for '95 with LWF

I'm getting flak from my wife due to stalling after installation of the LWF in a '95. If you have chipped your '95 to solve this problem, would you post who you got your chip from and how well it helped with stalling? I had hoped to get a chip from Steve W. but he's still unable to supply one for a '95 due to QC issues.

Other than the direct chip replacement for the '95, has anyone installed a unichip on a '95? I'd expect this is a much more expensive option ...
Old 04-12-2002, 03:57 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How light a flywheel do you have? In a ’95, if you have the really light one, I think the general consensus is that you can’t solve the stalling problem with a chip. In my ’95, I had to go to the slightly heavier Andial flywheel to solve the problem, despite my mechanic, who has a chip programmer, customizing my chip.

Tom
Old 04-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems is the answer.

I have not his chip but when I'll get the LWF I'll get the chip from him. Many people have recommended to go with his chip, especially with -95 993 w/ LWF.

Check the archives, there are several discussions about this.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:23 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact situation you speak with the lightweight RS flywheel. It will stall when coming to a stop and depressing the clutch. More frequent when running accessories (lights, etc).

The folks at Autothority said that their chip would resolve. After three versions from them, it has not. Improved over stock but still not rock solid. I have cleaned my Idle Stabilizer Valve as well. No improvement.

I have been waiting for three-four months for a Rennsport chip. As of yesterday, Steve has no ETA on when his will be available. Wish I had better news.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys:

I have heard good things about Steve's chip too. Like you, I have a '95 with a LWF but mine has stopped stalling completely. I have had it for about 4 months. Other than a set of AWESOME RSRs, I have no other motor mods.

Hank Cohn
Old 04-12-2002, 08:34 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 257 Posts
I've had my RS LWF on my 95 993 for about 5 months, and stalling is not an issue. Trick is to dissengage the clutch a bit later than how you normally do it. For example, when approaching a stop light, I used to dissengage the clutch a bit early and hit the brakes. Now I wait just a split second longer (let the rpm's fall a bit), then dissengage. I'm a daily driver with lots of stop and go,etc... Haven't stalled in many months!
BTY, my 95 is over 90K miles. I cleaned my ISV, but didn't like the results. I replaced it, and noticed better idle stability and less stalling potential. Just my point-of-view.

I too have waited for Steve Weiner's chip. Personally, I am very very dissappointed with this experience. Everyone speaks highly of his chips, but from "other" peoples experience. I have not heard one comment from an actual Rennsport chip user!! Rennsport has been unable to deliver for 5 months now! Very difficult to take such a business seriously. No offense Steve, but those are the facts.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:58 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are certainly ways to minimize the stalling when "planning" to stop. My favorite is a little heel/toe action which prepares me for my DE events. Unfortunately, it's those unplanned sudden stops when you just have to dump the clutch that scare me!

Quick Reply: Chips for '95 with LWF