Sponsored by:

Drilled airbox vs. cutoff the whole top

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002 | 11:34 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by bet:
<strong>I was under the impression the clutch vent actually pulled air and clutch dust from the clutch and that the position of it attached to the intake was to from some sort of vacuum for sucking air and such out of the clutch. I remember there was a big discussion on the loss of a vacuum could be harmful to the clutch and that the cup car air box had the top removed but maintained the clutch vent very close to the intake for this purpose. Anyone remember this conversation?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure... however it does make some sense. If so, I would think you wouldn't want to put a material cover over the snorkel since that would block the particles from being pushed out and into the air filter.

I remember tom saying that he saw his material cover that was placed over the snorkel hose get dirty from the inside which would imply that the clutch vent is pushing air/particles out.
Old 12-03-2002 | 09:54 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by kary993:
<strong>

Robin,

I may not be understanding you correctly in the above post, but the RSCS wing already has side air intakes that feed to the engine compartment. Is that what you meant or did I misunderstand?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kary,

What I mean is that you can attach flexible tubes to duct the fresh air from the air scopes on each side of the wing directly to the opening of the air box cover.
Old 12-03-2002 | 01:29 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by 993Widebody:
<strong>I remember tom saying that he saw his material cover that was placed over the snorkel hose get dirty from the inside which would imply that the clutch vent is pushing air/particles out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is true. It gets very dirty on the inside, and it gets dirty quickly. If I recall correctly, there were a number of additional factors that led us to believe that the clutch is under positive pressure. One is that certain models (European or RS or something) don’t have the vent tube at all. The tube is really just for environmental reasons, so the dust doesn’t get to the atmosphere. Another confirming point came from a vendor or technician. Another point would be that air flow follows the path of least resistance. The intake would suck far more air through the easier path (the air inlet) than it would suck from the narrow and twisty clutch vent tube. It doesn’t make much sense to me that vacuum could be a factor in cleaning out the clutch. Positive pressure makes more sense.

Tom
'95 993
Old 12-03-2002 | 09:26 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin,

Thanks for the clarification. Now that I went back and re-read your post I see what you are saying! I clearly misread it the first time.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Drilled airbox vs. cutoff the whole top