993 Forum 1995-1998

Reburbishing 3-piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:13 AM
aircooledfreak
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reburbishing 3-piece wheels

A Friend passed me set of Work 3-piece wheels which I am considering putting on my 993. However they need some refurbishing. I am concerned taking them apart and fixing them back will cause leakage unless done at the factory. Previously I had a set of 3 piece BBS basket weave leaked after refurbishing. The previous shop used silicon to seal the BBS.

Any rennlisters have the experience to share?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Are you sure the shop who rebuilt your previous wheels used new hardware for the rebuild?

There is an excellent BBS E88 rebuild thread in the whee and tire sub forum. I found some bolts to be loose during disassembly.

Make sure you replace gaskets and bolts with new ones on a rebuild and clean the pcs throughly. I am not sure if Work wheels have gaskets though. I also used a high temp gasket sealer instead of silicone and am very happy with it.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:36 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have refinished work wheels and others. work has a tendency to weld many of their 3 piece wheels you should look at the seal first if planning to take apart. much of the rebuild process can be done without full disassembly however like others have said i have done a full reseal and rebuild if youre slow and meticulous there shouldnt be any issues with sealing.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I read once of a DIY refinish job where the new finish on the individual components caused problems. The guy had painted the entire surface of the components Including the components' mating surfaces and under the fastener heads and wheel nut contact points. I understand that the finish deformed under load over time reducing the clamping forces leaving the assembly open to catastrophic fastener failures.
Andy
Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I sent my Old School Kinessis (sp) to Ye Ole Wheel Shoppe in Maryland. I had taken my wheels all apart, grit blasted the centers and had them anodized. The shop straightened and polished the rims along with reassembly/sealant. The hardware does need to be re-tightened every few years

Satisfied customer!!!!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:24 AM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If you feel at any time you're in over your head feel free to check here.

www.fastforwardwheels.com

Quick Reply: Reburbishing 3-piece wheels