Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback from those who have been living with a regeared 993 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Regear makes the car livelier and more responsive at all times, that;'s what a sports car is for after all. It will make freeway revs higher, but that shouldn't be a big issue, it'll still be more relaxed than pre a 964 911.

doing a cwp is not the way to go, it solves none of the spacing(rev drop) issues and only makes the car more responsive and busier at highway speeds

Here's what you feel, including aero effects from a typical regear where 1st can't be changed but 2nd thru 6 can, this is only the case for early g50/20, using a true Motorsports trans like a /30, /31 or /32 cures the 1 and 2 issue but is prohibitively expensive

Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
HA, just giving you a hard time. Happy to hear the laptimes are down. Would love to see that video too!
I gotta try to dig it out (hopefully still have it) and post it.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Having owned 4 911's before acquiring my 993, I loved all the gearboxes for street driving. Even my 66 911 which was fitted with the old 901 gearbox.

But, the 993 is different. In its wisdom to escape the gas guzzler tax, 993's were fitted with the G50/20 gearboxes with wide ratios allowing a theoretical 146 mph in 6th. Not sure if the above is all correct; however, you get the point. The ratios were wide spread......particularly between 1 and 2 gears. Of all the gears, I was happiest with the 6 gear which allowed highway cruising at around 3000 rpm, which is leisurely.

Around the suburbs, the /20 gearbox "wants" to keep you using just the 1 and 2 gears. Sometimes, I would shift to 3, which would put the engine close to bogging down. But, I especially despised the 1 to 2 shift. The huge gap in gearing made it difficult to keep the engine in the power band on that shift, unless you power shifted.

For me, that all changed when I installed a Motorsports G50/32 gearbox in which I substituted the stock /20 6 gear for the much shorter /32 6 gear. So, I truly have the best of all worlds for a street car running around in the suburbs or for taking long trips.

Instead of using just 1 and 2 gears around town, I find it comfortable and natural to use 1, 2, 3 and 4 gears. The spacing issues with the original 1 and 2 gears is gone, and the car is much more fun to drive around town. With the tall 6th gear installed, I still tach up to about 3000 rpm on the freeways around Chicago.

And lastly, the car is truly faster due to ease of being able to keep the engine in the power band in each gear.

Though pricey, a regear is the "cheapest" power boost available for our cars. That was the advice of Steve Weiner; and, he was dead on correct. Just my 2 cents. Best mod I've done to my car.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Regear

Originally Posted by pp000830
I may have a little shoebox money to improve the quickness of my 96' 993 Carrera. From what I have read shortening up the gears slightly does the trick without resorting to internal engine work. In my mind shortening up 2nd through 4th gears would be ideal and leaving 5th and sixth alone for normal highway driving.

I have read where lots of rennlisters have approached the solution in several ways from adjusting the final drive to replacing a mix of individual gear sets.

For me I would like some feedback from those who have done this and lived with it for a while and have aspects they like as a street car and aspects the do not like so much.

Andy
varying opinions obviously but I'll chime in since I have logged many mikes on my Rothsport regeared box...best money I've spent on my car hands down and I've spent a LOT. I went all the way and at least for my own approach never considered for a minute not doing it all. People will say what they will but it's not the same car, totally transformed in a good way. No regrets.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback from those who have been living with a regeared 993 Carrera