new kumho tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 03:28 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new kumho tire

does anyone know about the Kumho V70A ECSTA?

i'm assuming this is a new tire for them.

anyone know anything about it?

http://www.kumhotires.com/int/Tires/...&product=SUGR1
Old 11-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking

A more interesting tire to me on the Kumho web page, the Ecsta S700, a racing slick.. the tire has been around since 2001. My question, why have we not heard more about them? Are they still available? They sound good to me...now the cost??? Kumho says... "For Circuit Racing " Slick tire for motorsports!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Press Releases

2001 Press Releases
KUMHO TIRES MEET RIGOROUS ENDURANCE RACING CHALLENGE AT THE ROLEX 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA

FONTANA, Calif. -- February 22, 2001 -- For the first time ever, a car sponsored by KUMHO Tires competed in the grueling Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, the Grand American Road Racing classic. The race was held February 2 through 3, 2001 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Sporting KUMHO ECSTA S700 slick racing tires, the team's Ferrari 355 racecar successfully completed the full 24-hour endurance event. Starting from 79th position, the KUMHO entry (car #30 in the GTS class) finished 36th overall and seventh in GTS. A talented team of international drivers included Tony Ring (Sweden), Zoblin Zergey (Russia), Fabian Peroni (Italy) and Andrea Montermini (Italy). Roberto Crugnola (Italy) was team manager. The total KUMHO team effort also included racing technicians and engineers from Akron, Ohio, Europe and Korea, as well as a racing tire prep team from CUT, a company that specializes in performance and racing tires.

Begun in 1966, the 24 Hours of Daytona event closely parallels its European counterpart, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It provides automobile manufacturers and suppliers with a vital arena for durability testing under the most demanding racing conditions. KUMHO's participation in the event is a testament of the company's ongoing commitment and dedication to international motorsports.

Throughout the 24-hour period, the car and tires performed beautifully and passed the test with flying colors. There were no tire failures. In fact, except for routine parts and tire changes, the only major service performed was a transmission replacement. Even that is not uncommon for this type of demanding 24-hour race.

Another factor adding to the challenge was the weather. The race was run in a mixture of wet and dry conditions as it rained on and off throughout the contest. Even under these circumstances, where the crew had to continually guess at the best preparations for the race course, the KUMHO tires did well.Attending the event was a sizable contingent of interested spectators representing tire dealers and high performance racing shops from throughout Florida. They included people from Barron's Wholesale Tire, Bolado National Tire, Cruising Gold, Georgia's Wholesale Tire, Good Roads Auto Systems and Michigan Tire. During the race, they were given the chance to get a closer look at the racecar, tires and other racing equipment while observing the team at work in the infield. KUMHO regional sale manager, Roy Rowe, accompanied the group. When not at the speedway, these guests were entertained in two nearby hospitality suites.

The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona garnered extensive exposure for the KUMHO brand in the form of sponsorship decals on the racecar, support trailer, team uniforms and additional KUMHO signage. In addition, the Speedvision cable channel carried 25 hours of the endurance road race, live. This set a new record for flag-to-flag motorsports coverage. Each of the racing teams, including KUMHO, was profiled. Of course, coverage was also given to wider interest stories such as the late Dale Earnhardt/Dale Earnhardt Jr., father-son team and the Paul Newman team, which unfortunately ran into some difficulty, placing 78th.

From KUMHO's perspective, the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona was a huge success. According to KUMHO Marketing Director, Mike Leverington, " Our performance here helps prove what we've been saying for the last few years, that KUMHO tires offer world-class quality." Then he added, "From the consumer's standpoint, the things we learn on the track get translated into our street tires. And, as far as the tire dealer is concerned, the increased brand awareness we gain at events like this helps them sell KUMHO products."
Old 11-01-2003, 07:13 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the same tire you already know (ECSTA V700) with a different name for the overseas market.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:09 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC,

I have not seen a slick in the US from Kumho. I would be interested in another choice though. Anyone know where they can be had?

Quick Reply: new kumho tire