Sponsored by:

occasional burst of oil smoke from rear of 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 08:28 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Post occasional burst of oil smoke from rear of 993

A few times over the past 2 months I have seen a cloud of oil smoke appear at the rear of my 993 C4. It seems to be produced in a sudden burst and disappear seconds later. When it does happen you can't miss it, and cars behind me honk their horns (understandably) in protest. Then it might be weeks before it happens again.

Could someone please suggest the most likely causes of this intermittent problem?

I can not even be sure that the oil is being burnt IN the engine. It may be a leak onto an exhaust pipe, or something else entirely.

Thanks!

Graham
Old 10-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by graham_mitchell:
<strong>A few times over the past 2 months I have seen a cloud of oil smoke appear at the rear of my 993 C4. It seems to be produced in a sudden burst and disappear seconds later. When it does happen you can't miss it, and cars behind me honk their horns (understandably) in protest. Then it might be weeks before it happens again.

Could someone please suggest the most likely causes of this intermittent problem?

I can not even be sure that the oil is being burnt IN the engine. It may be a leak onto an exhaust pipe, or something else entirely.

Thanks!

Graham</strong><hr></blockquote>

Based on your other post, sounds like an overfill...

Check if you can see any oil on exhaust pipes, engine etc. and try harder with the dipstick, you'll leard how to see the oil level.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:39 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree that it sounds like overfill.

Re: being able to check clean, "clear" colored oil on your dipstick. First insure that you get the stick as dry as possible. When you then check the level, hold a drop light or other bright lightveryclose (about an inch) away from the stick. The oil will reflect more than the stick.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
A follow up to what Vinny has suggested, try running the edge of a paper towel wrapped around you finger down the dipstick. You will soon see where the top level of the oil is by noting the pickup of oil on the towel. Remember to dry the dipstick thoroughly BEFORE inserting it in the tube to take a reading.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:58 AM
Buck
Instructor

I had a similar problem with my '87 Carrera. I had a small oil sepage that would eventually build up a drop of oil and it would fall on the heat exchanger. This would produce a rather large plume of smoke. It usually happened while sitting at a traffic light and it looked like the car was on fire for a few seconds.

Does the smoke come out the exhaust or from around the rear end?
Old 10-18-2002, 02:32 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Smile

Thanks to all who have replied :-)

If it is the result of overfill, then what actually happens to cause the intermittent bursts of smoke?

If it is an oil leak hitting the exhaust, then I will not be able to see any evidence under the car until it is next up on a hoist. (The car has been lowered.) I am due for a service next week anyway....

Thanks again,

Graham
Old 10-18-2002, 04:05 PM
neunelf
Racer

I think the cars honking their horns behind you are saying
"Quick, jump out of the car your on fire!!"

Quick Reply: occasional burst of oil smoke from rear of 993