Question for Cab Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:22 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Cab Owners?

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a 1998 C2 Cab and wonder how many of you use your boot cover everytime you put the top down. I have had 2 previous convertibles (99 Boxster, 01 BMW 325Ci) and both of the tops folded into a nice little compartment where the top was protected.

The manual says to use the boot when the top is down, but it seems hardly worthwhile when you are running around town and may be putting the top up and down throughout the afternoon.

Just curious to see what other owners do and maybe why? I'm wondering if based on your past experience, if it preserves the expensive top for the long run more than if you didn't use it.

Thanks and happy motoring.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:32 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Depends on what I'm doing. For short drives where I'll be leaving my car locked up I don't use it (i.e. - going to work). But if I'm going to be running several errands and it's a nice day, or for a 20+ minute drive I'll use it simply because I think it looks 100% better with the cab boot on. I also don't prefer to use it without the boot on the freeway when speeds exceed 60mph since it flaps around a lot. Not sure if this answered your question, but I completely understand the nuisance of taking it on/off for short trips.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid nailed it. For a quick toodle to the store at 45 mph it's not necessary. Any time you're getting onto the freeway it's necessary. It won't blow up but you'll beat the snot out of the headliner and end up replacing it. And, of course, it just plain looks better when on.

If you haven't got one yet, get a windstop. They really work. And don't forget to put a tube of sunscreen in the passenger door because you will need it. Well, maybe not, I just saw you're in Vancouver One other thing is to use the Porsche top treatment to keep the top waterproofed.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:21 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool cover ups---

i try to use the boot as much as possible as i don't want to fade the liner & i just lock the car up tight when parking. but if i'm driving w/ the top up & i decide to continue on w/ the top down i'll go without. my car... funny as it may seem, has less wind disturbance inside the car w/o the boot cover on--- got a windstop--- but still kinda strange... go figure.

ps- another thing... i prefer the lo-tech booted look of the 993 to the 986 or 996... it's retro & the girls dig it too.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the boot all the time when the top is down. If I have a short trip just for errands, I just leave the top up. Bit of a pain with the boot, and I also do not leave the top down overnight. Guess bit of tradeoff with preventive maintainance, additional precautions can cause liner to last longer - however is it worth the additional time. For me it is.

Quick Reply: Question for Cab Owners?