Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Chips, Advice for Polar Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Sid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint Chips, Advice for Polar Silver?

Hi,

Well I just got a paint chip on my door
handle. Since my car is polar silver,
I wondering what is the best procedure
for dealing with this evil. Any good
products, methods or experiences.

Help...

Sid
C4S
Rennlist Member
Old 04-11-2002, 11:09 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just before I sold my Polar Silver car, I had the chips taken out of the front. I took the opportunity before that to try some different chip repairs, as it didn't matter the results - it was going to the paint shop to be done right.

I had applicators, tiny sanding blocks, 2000 sandpaper, a professional polisher and polish (a kit that was put together by PCNA for dealers). What I found was that I could do a perfect repair as long as the chip did not get the underlying color. You can fill with clearcoat, sand and polish and never tell there was a chip. If you need to add color, it will not be right. In fact, it will probably be more obvious after the repair attempt than before. Metallic colors must be sprayed just right to get them to match. According to my paint guy, that means the right paint, conditions and application (even the direction must be correct - right to left on a P-car) for it to match.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you will probably make it worse if the chip is into the color layer.

Quick Reply: Paint Chips, Advice for Polar Silver?