Sponsored by:

Can't unlock with fob and door LED is not blinking

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM
RicB
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't unlock with fob and door LED is not blinking

Hello - I've got a 96 993 Tiptronic. No reaction when pressing the key fob button. Key fob battery seems OK (recent battery and the red LED is brightly lit when I press the button). The odd thing is that the door LED is completely off. Not the usual single blink. Nor the double blink I've read about when the battery is low. Car battery is about 6 months old. Could it be completely drained? And the kicker: The immobilizer is not the original one because the codes from Porsche don't match up (I tried to get a second fob programmed at two different shops). So I don't have valid immobilizer codes. I haven't tried to unlock with the key yet. Would appreciate hearing suggestions on what to do next. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,089 Posts

The battery should be 12.5 volts after just running the engine and turning the ignition off
With the engine running it should be 13.5 volts or more.
If your car starts normally with the above voltage values there is likely something wrong with the alarm or immobilizer.
  • I would check the voltage first, an inexpensive volt meter can be purchased at Harbor Freight , <10$
  • If that checks out I would disconnect the battery for 60 seconds and reconnect it and see if it resets the electronics
  • If that doesn't help I would check the frunk, glove box, Dome and engine lid light and verify they illuminate and extinguish properly
  • Once the lights and their switches are ruled out I would disconnect the battery and disconnect the alarm controller and clean its contacts with spray crc electronics cleaner and put it back in.
  • If all fails you may need to have an expert look at it.

PS Clean the battery contacts in the fob and get a new battery anyway as the light can illuminate on the fob with a weak battery and a recently purchased new battery can be old stock and not up to nsuff.

Quick Reply: Can't unlock with fob and door LED is not blinking