Did Cd Multi-changer Diy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 PM
NickC4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Did Cd Multi-changer Diy!

My weekend project was to install the CDC3 changer and hook it up to the CDR220, into my 1997 C4S.

In the spirit of offering back advice from someone who has greatly received.

Tasks and tips as follows:

1. Read the DIY on Robin's P-car site. Which incidently was posted on Rennlist originally by Bobby.

2. When drilling the 20mm hole in the bulkhead, do it from the car-side by the pedals. Means you don't need to take the tank out.

3. Watch the 20mm drill bit through sheet steel. It vaporizes sheet steel! Handy to have wife/partner/significant other/drinking buddy on a vacuum cleaner to suck up the swarf from the trunk

4. Have black cable ties available to tie CD cable to loom and other anchoring points.

5. Buy the Porsche CD changer-cable, rather than the Becker after-market item. Porsche unit has the grommets and is the right length.

6. When mounting the CD-changer bracket, make sure you allow for the two layers of carpet - trunk carpet and changer carpet cover - by drilling the top 2 mounting holes about 5 mm towards the inside of the car, and not with the bracket pushed flush to the body work.

7. Pretent you know a thing or two about wall-paper hanging, as you will need these skills when you make two insertions in the trunk carpet to accept the mounting bracket through. Use chalk to mark off. Measure twice, cut once. (I need to cut twice, ouch)!

8. Before you start, remember to call Becker and buy "B" stock CDR220 $371.58 - with modified controller - and CDC3 changer $189.17.

9. Need to buy carpet cover for changer, CD-changer cable and mounting bracket from Porsche. Reasonable when the value-added parts are at a significant discount and have zero belmishes on them.

There we go. Anyone want help please PM me and I will be delighted to provide the voice-over.

Also, I replaced the rear-window rubber strip - with Pedro's added for good measure - and have a very silent, and clean looking rear window for small money. Need to push hard, and don't stretch the rubber however. Might now try the front screen.

Next step, PSS9's. Now that's what I call a weekend DIY!

Actually its the coffee-grinder spoiler. I want silence.

Nick

Quick Reply: Did Cd Multi-changer Diy!