Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone do their garage floor in this before? Wondering about long term wear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:02 AM
LeeR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce, I had a problem with epoxy paint, which was ultimately blamed on moisture in the concrete. Had epoxy paint professionally applied 3 separte times, in a multi part/multi-day process. Each time it started pealing in big pieces after only a couple of weeks. Manufactures paint rep came out and blamed it on moisture wicking up through the porus concrete. Supposedly proper way to do concrete is to put a moisture barrier, like heavy plastic, between concrete and soil. My home was built in 1949, and apparently this was not done, the concrete was poured right into the soil. There are many different formulations of concrete, some more porus than others. Anyway, that was the story of the paint company rep.

I then went to industrial grade vinyl tile, applied with epoxy cement. This stuff is really on tight. Nothing will get it up. It's been on for about three years now without problems. Cost was 1800 for materials and installation for 400 square foot garage plus steps.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the epoxy and paint products require the surface to be moist/wet when applied, however, this does not mean they will continue to adhere to the surface with moisture coming up through the concrete.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

While I am in no way suggesting my situation is similar to Lee's, I too used industrial vinyl tiles and glued them to the floor. They looked great until one day - using the factory jack - the weight was too much for one of them which slid/lifted/broke the nearby tile and nearly dropped the car on me. I consider those tiles dangerous if you are going to work on your car and use jacks!! (I now use a lift). If you don't work on your car that way (ramps of lift), they are a great cost saver over any other method !

For the same reason, as cool as all those racy snap-on tiles of any brand are, I'd be careful lifting a car with anything other than concrete under the jacks ! it's all moot if you buy a scissor lift (for the same price you can tile your garage incidentally).

Also, keep in mind that tiles are a b#$$% to remove if you change your mind. Paint is not a problem.... Also not as easy to clean as a nice epoxy finish, in my experience. If I could do it over again I'd let a pro epoxy-paint the floor with some of those granules droppe dinto the paint for non-slip (and enjoy a warranty) or spray-crete the floor - a textured colored concrete, less boring than your average concrete and can be made to look like tiles (doing my driveway with this this week, for 1/5 the cost of pavers, I'l let you know).

Greg.

I almost had my car drop on me beacsue of vinyl tiles, so be careful...

Quick Reply: Anyone do their garage floor in this before? Wondering about long term wear?